The Usual Compartment

Start from the beginning

"Aren't I gallant," he said, lounging in the seat opposite hers.

"Oh, can't you tell how unfathomably grateful I am for your presence," she deadpanned, burying her nose in her book once again. "I am sorry," she continued to the page.

"You're forgiven," he returned lightly. "So how was your summer?"

Lily sighed. "Alright, I suppose. Listen Potter, don't you have some stupid prank to pull or something?"

"Not that I know of. You know, it would be polite to ask me about my summer, Evans."

"I've already heard all about your centaur skirmishes and leprechaun luncheons from Sirius," she said, rolling her eyes.

"How decent of him to include me," James mused with a chuckle.

Lily was about to ask him to leave once again when they heard a knock at the open door- it was Remus. He'd put on his uniform; his shabby robes were a bit short for his legs, so his trainers stuck out from underneath them.

"Hullo," he said.

"Remus! Why don't you join us?" Lily asked. "Potter was just refusing to leave a girl in peace!"

"The extent of your hatred never fails to amaze and bewilder me," said James sitting up and leaning slightly closer to Lily.

"The Grade One Standard Book of Spells never fails to amaze and bewilder you."

"Oh really? What did you get in your O.W.Ls again? Seven Os was it? Oh wait...that was me."

"No! I'd never have known...except you've told every person you've seen since you arrived on the platform."

"Yes, please join us, Remus. Evans might enjoy having a pleasant conversation, since she's morally obliged to hurl only insults at me."

"Actually I-" began Remus.

"You're lucky that's all I'm hurling at you," she muttered.

Suddenly, Peter burst through the door on his hands and knees, scrambling after a chocolate frog with sticky, chubby fingers. He grabbed it at last, and plonked himself down next to James, popping the frog into his mouth, blissfully unaware of the rest of the compartment.

"If you two are finished," Sirius smirked, also appearing at the doorway.

"I came to get you, Lily," Remus said quietly. "The prefects meeting is going to start soon."

A pink tinge appeared in Lily's cheeks as she stood up and pulled Remus from the compartment in a haste.

"I'll see you on the platform," he called.

"Smooth, Prongs," Sirius said with a smug smile. James whacked him over the back of the head.

"You absolute sod, Padfoot," he said, running his fingers through his already dishevelled black hair. But the argument would soon be forgotten, as their bickering always was. You see, James Potter's popularity was not unanimous- he was yet to convince one of the few people whose opinions mattered to him, that he was not...what was it...'an arrogant, bullying toerag'?

Twenty minutes later, the train seemed to be slowing down. Peter crammed the pockets of his cloak with the remaining sweets, and the boys pushed their way onto the dark and crowded platform, still pulling on their robes. They heard Hagrid's familiar voice as he bellowed through the torrential wind and rain: "Firs-years follow me , min' yer step now! Alrigh' James, Sirius, oh hullo Peter!"

James could see his swinging yellow lantern and waved towards it as Remus joined them at the edge of the steep, narrow path, huddling close to shelter from the blustering rain. From there they could see the vast castle perched atop a high mountain, the windows in the towers sparkling through the dark clouds. They were home.