The Usual Compartment

The dusking countryside flew past the window as the scarlet steam engine made it's way to Hogwarts for the start of a new year. The neat little fields had disappeared; now there were woods, twisting rivers, and dark green hills.

In their usual compartment at the end of the train, four sixth-year boys were devouring their way through a mountain of goods from the trolley. Pumpkin pasties, chocolate frogs, cauldron cakes, liquorice wands, and a number of other wonderful treats were piled high on the small wooden table under the window. A warm glow from the lamp lit their joyful faces.

"That was when a spider- the size of a small dragon- came out of the bushes- black, hairy, GIGANTIC, and clicking its pincers at me and James..." Sirius crouched on his seat, pincers poised, and waited for the suspense to build.

A thin, pale boy with brown hair that hung into his watery green eyes, picked up a bean, looked at it carefully, and popped it into his mouth.

"Hang on," began Remus, "what was an Acromantula doing in Winchcombe?"

"You sound as if you don't believe me, Moony?"

"Well so far, during your summer with Prongs, the two of you have slain a dragon, fought a troll, and spent the afternoon eating pasties with a vampire- it's unbelievable!"

"Well, believe it!"

"Bleaaargh!" exclaimed Remus, chewing on another bean. "Vomit."

"Serves you right!" Sirius chuckled. "I reckon this one's chocolate mousse and orange jelly, delicious!"

Sirius Black was a darkly handsome boy with a fair skinned face full of laughter. His dark, wavy hair fell into his striking grey eyes with a sort of casual elegance that meant he was often ogled by girls. The most important thing to know about Sirius Black, is that he didn't like rules. Some people said he considered himself above them, but really he just didn't consider them at all. He was rebellious; and that only added to his appeal.

Sirius tossed a handful of beans at the tall boy sitting opposite him, who dodged a funny-looking grey one, and caught a buttered toast flavoured one between his teeth, with a crooked grin.

"Really, Padfoot, if you're going to tell these stories, you've got to make them somewhat believable. Next time, I'd make it me taking on the Basilisk- that might help," he said drily.

"Shut up, Prongs, or next time I'll leave you out altogether."

James Potter was Sirius Black's best friend and troublemaking partner. He had black hair, which- much like the two boys- was unwilling to co-operate, a strong jaw, and a pair of spectacles, that balanced on a long, straight nose. He could beat you at a game of Quidditch, trick you into doing anything he wanted, and charm circles around you until you had forgotten the purpose of your conversation- but still you would wish he was your best friend. It's no surprise then, that James Potter received equal adoration to Sirius; but since he was eleven years old, he'd only really had eyes for one girl.

"I'm going to find Evans," he announced to the compartment as he stood up and slid open the door.

"Oh I'm sure she'll be just delighted to see you!" Sirius quipped, but James was already halfway down the carriage.

James stood at the entrance to a compartment a few doors down, where a girl was sitting with a book in her hand, and a far-off look on her face. She was already wearing her Hogwarts robes. The setting sun gave her pale skin a golden glow, sparked her bright green eyes, and illuminated every strand of dark red hair.

James leant against the doorway and pushed his fallen glasses up his nose. "All alone, Evans?" he asked with a winning smile.

Lily jumped, and scowled when she recognised James standing in the doorway, his usual cocky grin on his face. "I was until you showed up."