Chapter 5: Reopening Old Wounds

Lily's POV

I stood staring out my kitchen window in a daze, amazed at how my life has taken a turn for the good. I stayed there for a few more minutes with a huge smile on my face until I heard a blaring alarm just outside my window. Dread began filling my body as I remember the last time I heard those same familiar sounds from the night that I lost my mom. 

Tears filled my eyes as I stood there transported back to a time when my life was turned upside down. Here I am watching as my mom's lifeless body lay stretched out on her bedroom floor. The paramedics were working tirelessly to stop the steady pumping of blood from pouring out of her body. 

I felt Nana trying to comfort me as much as she possibly could. Looking up at Nana's exhausted face; I was terrified to ask her the one question that I desperately wanted answers to for fear of what she would say. So instead, I turn back towards mom just as they start wheeling her outside to the ambulance. 

Just as we made it to the hospital, a middle-aged male doctor approached Nana with a grim expression on his face. I knew before he said anything that my mom had left me. I felt like the world had turned its back on me.

My Nana crumbled into tiny pieces after hearing that her daughter was no longer in this world. This was the first time I've ever seen Nana mentally and physically destroyed. She was always strong-willed and carefree as if life could not get her down. I didn't think my heart could break anymore until my Nana cried right in front of me like a baby. Nana stood there holding me in her arms as we both cried together. 

I'm jarred out of my thoughts of my terrible past when I hear one paramedic screams to another one, “we're losing her.” My heart was breaking all over again but this time it was for the family that could possibly lose a family member.

I stood staring out my kitchen window hoping and praying whoever it was would be okay. My eyes began to travel along her petite body, watching as the blood poured from her body like an overflowing river. 

My heart began beating faster as my eyes continued to travel further up her body. At this point, it felt as if my heart had stopped or time was at a complete stand-still. My brain was trying to convince itself that what it was seeing wasn't really true. I began free-falling towards the immaculate, tiled floors.

A few hours later...

I awaken in a cold sweat, shaking terribly, and looking around trying to figure out what has happened.

The feeling I now felt was all too familiar to me as I've been through this before, losing someone special to me. I was mentally and physically exhausted, but I knew there was no way I was going to get any rest until I knew for sure that Mandy was okay. 

Sitting up in bed I wiped the sweat that was sliding down the side of my face with my hand. I was so lost in my thoughts and pain that I had completely forgotten that Liam and Ashley were here with me.

“Lily, are you okay?” He asked just as a bubbly Ashley ran into the room with excitement. 

“Ashley, what did I tell you about keeping up too much noise?” Liam questioned in a stern voice. 

“I'm sorry daddy,” I hear Ashley say with sadness in her voice. 

“She's perfectly fine Liam!” Come here Ashley I say patting the bed for her to sit beside me. 

“Lady, are you sick? Ashley asked as fear shone clearly through her eyes. 

“Awe sweetie, did I scare you?” I asked as I pushed a strain of hair out of her face and placed a kiss on her forehead. 

She nods her head up and down. I watched as a tear slipped down her face into the palm of my hand. “Lady, please don't leave me. I love you and we need you!” Ashley says with tears pouring from her eyes.

I sat there speechless and in total shock as no-one has ever needed me before. I felt a gentle shake on my arm, looking down I saw her face was now flooding with tears. 

Mustering up all the courage that I had I did something that I've never done before. “Ashley, honey I love you too and I would never leave you!” I promised her. I've never liked promising anyone anything. I knew from experience that those were just empty words that people made to put others at ease or to get what they wanted. 

I felt my tears roll down my face because I knew there was no way that I could keep that promise. I'm not planning on going anywhere any time soon, but I'm constantly reminded that life is so unpredictable.

Ashley's small hand reached up and wiped the tears running down my face away. “Lady please don't cry,” was her innocent request as she stared into my eyes. 

“I need a hug from a sweet princess!” I say with a smile.

“I have plenty of those lady, and you can have as many of those that you want,” Ashley responds.

“That's exactly what I need,” I say as she leans up and hugs me tightly with a kiss on my cheek. 

Her small bubbly face lit up when her father placed a kiss on her forehead. I watched in amazement as she hopped off the bed heading back into the living room as if nothing had happened.

“Daddy, stop treating me like a baby. I'm a big girl now!” Ashley says before disappearing around the corner.

“Lily, what have you done to my sweet innocent daughter?” Liam asked with a smile plastered on his face. 

“I had nothing to do with this,” I say with a wicked grin on my face looking up into the most intense set of blue eyes I've ever seen. The air in the room felt electrified all of a sudden, my mouth seemed to water as Liam's face got closer to my face. My body temperature was at the breaking point of setting itself on fire as his tongue explored every nook and cranny of my mouth. 

Pulling back Liam placed his head against mine. I was sure he could hear my heart trying to beat itself right out of my chest. “Lily, what have you done to me? If you keep this up I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out!” Liam whispers near my ear.

“What am I doing?” I asked with a puzzled look on my face. 

“I think I should leave now while I'm still able to walk away,” Liam said walking back towards the door. “I'll call you when we make it home,” he said walking out the door and closing it behind him. 

I sat on my bed wondering what the hell just happened as I felt myself slowly falling into a deep sleep.

Please vote and comment!!!