Everyday was a challenge to say the least. I was lucky enough to have a busy schedule to try and keep my mind off of Charlie, but when you’re hopelessly in love with someone who may not even feel the same way anymore… singing love songs and thinking about them with every lyric – not a second went by where she didn’t float around like free balloons in the sky in my head. I was completely wonderstruck by her, every piece of my heart screamed for her, knowing she belonged with me – she was the best thing I never had. I tried to keep quiet about all the Charlie feels that over stayed their welcome as they occupied my mind 24/7… afraid of jinxing all my chances if I spoke the words out loud, like a wish that wouldn’t come true. Being in the studio so much, I started putting my feelings into lyrics. Everything about her inspired me, her smile that she saw as an imperfection, but it lit up my world; her laugh that was contagious and a little too loud but I wouldn’t change it for anything. Her ability to know exactly what I’m thinking without even realizing it, like all the times we almost spoke telepathically about lyrics that were the mix tape of our feelings. I wanted to create my own unique lyrics about her, and I would casually suggest some lines here and there over the first month of recording and the boys loved them. Then one day, they found my lyric book.

••

“Harry, what are you always doing with your nose stuffed up in that book?” Louis asked curiously and suddenly I found myself being cornered. They pounced on me and went at me like piranhas. I desperately tried to save my precious book but

“GOT IT!” Niall snatched it from my grasp as I sprung up from my spot on the couch in the studio but wasn’t quick enough. The leprechaun and his sidekicks had all locked themselves in the soundproof booth and I stood there with my face growing hot as they flipped through the pages. I turned on the microphone so I could hear them.

Songs About Charlie” Zayn read aloud “how Maroon 5-esque of you” he said mockingly over Louis’ shoulder as he held the book for all eyes to see.

 “I like the way you smile with your eyes… there’s something about your laugh that makes me want to have to” Niall read intrigued.

From the moment I met you everything changed, I had to take you and make you mine” Liam spoke skimming the pages.

Louis pointed one out and smiled “when I saw your face I fell in love, it took a minute girl for you to steal my heart.”

You keep making me weak; frozen and can’t breathe” Zayn recited.

I want to be loved by you

 “It’s everything about you” they finally said in unison and looked up at me as I buried my face in my hands in utter embarrassment.

I remember them all spilling out of the booth and rushing at me.

“Harry why on earth have you kept these from us? These are amazing.” Niall said to me with bright eyes like an anxious child on Christmas. It meant a lot coming from him seeing as he did a lot of the writing on songs that hadn’t already been written for us. He was really talented and I was shocked he liked what I’d written.

“They’re just thoughts, they’re nothing serious..” I started but was cut off “Harry these are the beginning to some possible ONE DIRECTION songs!” Louis oozed excitement, grabbing onto my sides and shaking me wildly with every word, “And the emotion behind them, we all know how much you love Charlie, these lyrics are better than anything that could have been given to us, these are real.” He embraced me and the rest of the lads weren’t far behind “lets get recording boys!” Zayn said in his signature accent as we broke from our group hug.