Mermaid Show and Tell

Belle POV

The whole hee-haw gang follows me all the way down to the pool. I can feel the glare of the super spies on my back, analyzing my every move, trying to determine if I am a threat. I also felt a different gaze from a certain white-haired speedster that I'm not sure if I liked it or not.

I walk up to the edge of the pool and glance back at my audience. Ugh, might as well just get it over with I guess.

"What is this-" I cut Natasha off by jumping in the pool. I sink down into the depths counting off in my head. At exactly ten seconds the bubbles swirl and I glance down at my all too familiar tail. I look back up to the surface and can just make out multiple faces looking down into the water. Time to face the music. I swim up to the surface taking in the shocked faces.

"Yes, I am a mermaid," I state pulling myself out of the pool. Strong hands grab onto my arms helping me. I glance up expecting Steve but am surprised when I see Pietro instead. My surprise quickly turns to disdain when he winks. I just turned into a fish and he winks at me. Huh.

I raise my hand over my legs and slowly close my hand evaporating the water. "Are we done now?"

"No!" exclaims both super spies at the exact same time. Each of them take one of my arms and escort me back to the living room.

"How did you become a mermaid?" Natasha asks. I wince. That is one question I really don't want to answer. Answer that honestly and next thing we know Maco Island is another area 51. Being the super spy she is, she notices my hesitation. "Why don't you want to answer?"

"If mermaids were revealed, certain people would want to hunt them and experiment on them. I think the answer to your question is better kept between mermaids," I state as logically as I can.

"So there are more of you," claims Tony. I glare at him and sigh.

"Theoretically, I doubt I am the only one in the world."

"How long have you been a mermaid?" Birdy asks.

"A while." They stare at me obviously frustrated with my responses. Personally, I think it's pretty entertaining. I doubt many refuse to give them answers. Their names alone are enough to send most bad guys crying all the way home to their mothers.

"She right, guys," Bruce says stepping forward. "Mermaids have been living a peaceful existence in the shadows for years at least but probably decades. There's no reason that has to change now."

"Fine, but since you will be staying here in the tower we should know any and all powers you have," Natasha states. I open my mouth to object but close it thinking everything over. I look at all of their faces taking in their expressions. They are all genuinely curious and interested. It's been years since anyone has cared about me or wanted to know about me. I never realized how much I missed that until this moment. Cleo, Emma, and Rikki are nice friends, but they were always closer to each other than they were to me. I was always an outsider, a friend, while they were family. I make my decision in a heartbeat. Plus now I get to show off which is always fun.

"Let me think," I start off. "I have ten seconds to get dry or else I'll grow a tail. I can't breathe underwater but I can hold my breath for pretty long. I became a mermaid when I was thirteen but I will not tell you how or where. I can control water, freeze it, and heat it. That's about it." They all take a beat digesting the information.