Meeting the Star Spangled Man

^^^^^Belle above^^^^^

Belle POV

Today was the day! I was so excited because today was my ninth birthday. I dove out of bed and grabbed the brand new dress I had gotten just for the occasion. It was the prettiest dress I had ever seen with white trim and blue butterflies flying across the skirt. I got ready at the speed of light and pranced downstairs.

My dad had said something about going out today but I don't know where. He doesn't really talk to me that much and sometimes he says mean things but it's only when he drinks too much. He does care for me. At least I think he does. He doesn't show it but he is a dad right? I skipped into the kitchen contemplating where he could be taking me for my birthday maybe the zoo or the aquarium? I felt giddy just thinking about it. I noticed my dad sitting at the bar and hopped over to him.

"Good morning, dad!" I greeted cheerfully.

"Don't talk so loud," he scolded me not even looking up from his glass. I cleared my throat a little. "What?" He glanced over at me and I twirled in my dress. "Why are you doing that?"

"I'm showing you my new dress."

"Why?" he asked looking back at his glance before taking a short sip.

"Because it's new and I like it! How do I look?" I exclaimed.

"Again, talk quieter or better yet, don't talk at all," he stated picking up his glass and standing up. He took another quick sip of his drink and glanced back at me. "And a pretty dress doesn't change the fact that a toad is still a toad." I winced at the harsh words but a tried to push past them. He always said things like this but he didn't mean them. At least, I hope he didn't.  As he walked out of the kitchen I followed him.

"Jarvis, is the car ready?" he asked putting on a pair of sunglasses.

Yes sir, it is waiting for you out front.

"Where are we going?" I asked walking up to him.

"Again with the talking," he sighed, "There is no we. I am flying down to Miami for the weekend. Don't burn the house down." With that he walked out, slamming the door behind him. I stared at the door letting everything sink in.

This was the third year in a row that he had forgotten. The first time I thought well I was new it was understandable. The second time I thought it was just a fluke it won't happen again. This time I felt like an iron fist punched me in my chest. I felt my eyes burning as the tears I had held back finally broke through. I realized that he didn't care. I realized that he meant those things he said. I realized that he didn't love me. I cried and cried until it began to grow dark outside.

I looked down at my dress not stained with tears and I felt an anger begin to build within me. I ran to my room and changed as fast as I could. I grabbed a pair of scissors and ripped and tore and hacked at the dress relieving all of my anger onto it. I stared at the tattered remains that were left. The anger was gone but what replaced it just made my chest hurt more. I sat down with my back to my bed, pulled my knees up to my chest, and sobbed because I had finally realized how alone I was.

I gasp sitting straight up in my bed, sweat dotting my brow. I breathe heavy glancing around my bare apartment. 

It was just a dream. It was just a dream.

I shake my head slightly trying to rid myself of memories that I had long since forgotten. Well, memories that I had tried to forget. And when I say tried I mean that I would pay anything in order to forget anything having to do with Him. But alas, no luck. Almost every night I am graced with his presence even though I haven't seen the man, if you can call him that, in years. I groan and roll out of bed.