Just My Luck

Steve POV

It had been a few day since he met Belle and he decides to visit the Library again. It was raining so he grabs an umbrella and makes his way to the café. As he was passing the alley beside the café he notices something out of the corner of his eye.

The door to the café opens and Belle runs out into the pouring rain. She holds one hand above her head and the other carries a bag of trash. She rushes to the nearby dumpster and throws the bag in it.

It takes him a minute but he realizes the water isn't touching her. It was as if there was a protective shield around her keeping the water away. His mouth opens in shock as she hurries back into the café perfectly dry. The possibilities run through his head: mutant, experiment, Hydra. He is in way over his head here so he calls an expert.

Bruce POV

The last thing Bruce thought would happen today was Steve calling him about a girl. He was just working in his lab at the tower when he got a call from Steve.

"Hello?" Bruce asked answering his phone.

"Hey Bruce, can you meet me at the Library? It's a coffee shop down a little ways from the tower," Steve said.

"I guess, why?"

"I just saw something weird that I need a second opinion on." Bruce told him he would head over. It was still raining when he got to the small café. He enters and sees Steve sitting at a corner table not too far from the door. Bruce walks over and sits across from him.

"So what happened?" he asks grabbing a menu.

"Do you see the waitress over there?" Steve asks him in a hushed tone. Bruce casually glances around taking note of a dark brunette standing behind the cash register. He turns back to Steve and nods. "On my way in I saw her go into the alley to throw trash away in the pouring rain."

"That doesn't sound that weird Steve."

"It wouldn't if she had gotten wet." Bruce furrows his eyebrows in confusion. 

"What do you mean?"

"The water didn't touch her. She had her hand up and it was almost like there was an invisible shield around her." Bruce thinks about it for a minute.

"So she's a mutant. It's uncommon but it seems she's living a normal life," Bruce replies not seeing a need for their involvement.

"But here's the weird thing. Her eyes are very guarded and she hides her emotions almost as well as Natasha. Plus she seems to have a hatred for Stark and I mean like a Pietro and Wanda hatred. When I first came here she identified me right away and it seemed like she couldn't wait till I left," Steve explains.

"Ok that is suspicious. Do you think she's working for somebody?"

"I don't know. That's why I wanted you to meet her." Soon enough Bruce hears footsteps approaching them. Well, here goes nothing.

Belle POV

My day was already horrible. It was raining, and I had to take the garbage out. I had to use all of my focus to make sure I didn't get wet. But as if that wasn't bad enough the star spangled man with a plan had to show up again. And for the cherry on the top of this god-forsaken sundae, the hulk decided to join the party. Why can't these avengers go to one of the other hundred coffee shops in New York?

I glance at them. They are just talking in hushed tones sitting in the corner. I look around. No one seems to have noticed them but me. But hey I'm pretty observant if you haven't figured that out by now. Ugh. I pick up my notepad and pen. Tucking them into my apron I head over to the table.