Collections

Buggy adjusted the scarf atop Evee's head.

"Keep them on just like I told you," he whispered, "No one can get under here. You hear that?"

I shook my head even though I felt like the only one, who wasn't understanding.

Was it because I was standing next to Mat did my skin suddenly feel numb, or was it the shoving of the growing crowd that was making my hairs stand on their ends. I couldn't be sure. The Allies would be arriving soon, but their presence was already here.

"Buggy, shouldn't we hide or something?" Evee said.

Buggy wrapped his arm around Evee.

"It's alright," he said "It's just for show, that's all. They'll take what they need and be done with us for another year."

His gentle words calmed the sharp flutters under my skin.

"Alight," Buggy said herded Evee, Mat and I uncomfortably close, "We better get you to the backs, before the Ally scum starts their sniffing."

Richard stood at the center of the canopy where his workers separated the mixed barrels into bigger crates. Towers of crates lined the canopy with plenty more crops coming.

"Keep em' safe, boy," Richard said to Buggy and continued to stack the tower higher.

"I will!" Buggy shouted.

He rushed us through the horde of travelers and forced his body through the gaps with growing speed. I followed in line with the rest, but something wasn't right.

"Where's Ocean?" I said.

"Where she can be safe," Buggy answered.

Mat crossed his arms and said, "If she's safe somewhere else, then why are we up here?"

"Ocean will be safer where she is. Just trust me," Buggy said and dodged an oncoming traveler holding a barrel, "Anyway, it's hard enough keeping one of you quiet, never mind four of you in a closet."

"Is that where she is? In a closet?" I said.

"We don't speak of Ocean, from now on," Buggy whispered to us all, "Understand?"

I nodded again. The thought of Ocean being in danger and locked in closet tightened the growing knot already in my stomach. The air was heavy with whispers and the travelers were more panicked in their shoving with every step. This seemed more like the collection day I was told of.

"How is she any different?" Mat said and rolled his head, "Other than being a fish freak."

"Don't call her that, you jerk!" Evee shouted and made a swing for Mat's head.

"Ay!" Buggy shouted and put his arms between the two, "This is what I'm talking about!"

We stopped in the chaos of bodies. Mat and Evee held their fists in the air. I kept my shaking fingers at my sides.

Buggy pinched the bridge of his nose and let down his arms.

"We've got hundreds of Allies at our steps looking for some trouble, and you two want to start name calling? Shame. Shame on you both."

I had never seen Buggy this uptight before. Even when he led us through the Ally infested forests, he wasn't this panicked.

"Now," Buggy said and sneered his lips, "Let's move."

We followed without another mention of Ocean. The presence of the Allies was spreading like a wave of sickness. Ready to take us all into its tide.