Detention

We waited in the hall. Held down by the man's invisible chain. He had spoken to Valencia with his bracelet. He told her everything.

My eyes swelled whenever I thought about Valencia. We might have gotten her in trouble too. We deserved it, especially me. I wanted to be angry at the girl, but this was all me.

"There she is," the man said with a grin as Valencia walked into the hall.

With each clack of her heels, I huffed back more tears.

"Hello, Milo. I hope you haven't been too rough on my girls," Valen said and looked down at the girl and me.

"Of course not," Milo said and pouted his lips, "Would you really think that of me?"

"Come on girls it's time to go," Valencia said and turned away from Milo.

Her disgust for this man tainted her warmth.

"Don't leave so soon. You still haven't given me an answer," Milo said and walked in front of Valencia, with his arms folded against his chest.

"You don't need an answer," Valencia said and crossed her arms to match his, "You know it's against policy."

Milo looked down at the girl and me.

"So is this," he said and snickered, "Just think about it, okay hun?"

Valencia pursed her painted lips and gave him no more of her time. She grabbed the girls hand, put the other on my back and led us out of the hall.

I did not look back at Milo. I didn't need to. I could feel his dark eyes still hunting us.

"Girls," Valencia said, "This is not a place to be walking around on your own. You have to stay with me. Okay?"

Each of her gentle words washed away my tears, but the bright light in the girl's eyes had turned to black again.

Valencia continued, "If there is someone you can trust it's me."

The girl woke from her silence, "Why should I?" she said.

I snapped my head to the girl.

Valencia spoke even softer and said, "You're right. Just know that if you ever need a friend, I'm here."

We continued without talking. I had done enough for a lifetime. I didn't need to get into any more trouble.

Valencia led us up a set of stairs that took us high above the gardens and into a bridge made of glass. At the other end of the bridge, there was an entrance with many doors. Each had a large number on the outside. Valencia opened the first.

On the other side of the door, there was a room filled with rows of children in small desks. At the front of the room, an old black haired woman stood and faced the children. She spoke and pointed to words written behind her on the wall. At the sight of us, her nose turned away.

"I apologize, Ms. Clavette," Valencia said, "These children needed to be seen in the medical ward."

Ms. Clavette pressed her thin lips together.

"Seat them there," she said and pointed to two empty desks in the back.

Valencia pressed her hands on our backs and moved the girl and me to sit down at a desk, as Ms. Clavette continued to speak.

"If that is all for interruptions, please take your -"

The lights of the room dimmed. Ms. Clavette turned to the wall behind her as a light projection onto the wall like a screen.

There on the wall was a man. He was short, round and wore a gray suit with an emerald-colored tie. His thin gray hair was swept to across to one ear.

"Good afternoon grade one. My name is Charles S. Cohen, and I am the director of this center," the man on the screen said, "It has come to my attention some of you had the idea of leaving your new home. Let me assure you that is not a wise decision -"

I dug my nails into the wood of the seat beneath me.

Director Cohen paced across the screen where two boys with tears stood.

"Your fellow residents F24 and J91 also decided that the Edgar Center was not good enough for them. But with every poor decision there comes an even harsher consequence. That's why these boys will be receiving thirty days in the detention hall."

The girl had not spoken in so long I had forgotten she was still there. A faint cry came from her open mouth.

"Remember these two faces in thirty days and when you see them I'm sure you'll never have the idea to leave again."

The projection went black, and the lights above turned back on. The girl's eyes were like glass as she looked over at me.

No words were needed.

We would never try to leave again.