chapter thirtyone: i will no longer be afraid

'It is here in this journey,
You will learn to be strong.
You will get where your going,
Landing where you belong.'

__________

__________

Heavy breathing and rapid heartbeats filled the vast abyss as the group finally made their way to the center. The place where all the nasty sewage and trash ended up. The place where they had found a floating Stan. The place where this demonic clown was hiding, ready to pounce at any moment.

Bill shined his flashlight into emptiness to be met with a mountain of waste and walked around it to investigate further. The bright light that radiated out of the flashlight had began to flicker, eventually going out completely. Bill smack it on his hand a couple of times before he realized it was no use.

"G-Guys," Bill began to speak.

"What is it?" Richie said.

"My f-f-flashlight. It's d-dead," Bill spit out.

"Oh, great. Now we are stuck in a dark room with a bloodthirsty clown and no way of seeing it coming," Eddie complained.

"So let me get this straight, you make me walk through shitty water, drag me through a crack house, and now..." Richie started, "I'm gonna have to kill this fucking clown."

"Yes, Richie. We're going to kill—"

Before Maggie could finish, Pennywise jumped out right in front of her, causing her to shriek loudly. It grabbed her behind her neck, pulling her closer to its face. Pennywise opened its mouth widely, showing all of its razor sharp teeth.

"And so we meet again, Margaret. How should I scare you this time? How should I hurt you this time? What if I hurt one of your friends? Possibly, kill," It snarled.

Maggie's eyes widened as the monster threw her to the ground and began to back the rest of the group up in a corner. It's body was twisting and bending and growing, trapping them all.

"No! Stop it!" Mags pleaded towards the creature.

"Who should I kill first? What about the living stutter? The hopeless romantic? Or maybe little momma's germaphobe? Perhaps the innocent boy from the slaughter house?" Pennywise smirked.

It changed its focus from them to Stanley. Maggie's heart dropped to the floor as she slowly pulled her self up from the ground.

"Maybe I'll just take this one back for a nice trip to float. But this time... forever. What do you say? How about going back to old times?" Pennywise remarked.

"No! Don't touch him! Do you dare lay a finger on him!" Mags yelled, now standing on her two feet.

She found a long pipe with a sharp point on the end laying on the ground and jammed it through Pennywise's head, causing one of its eyes to pop out of its socket. The group shuffled away in one big huddle from the bloody creature.

Mags gasped greatly realizing how the pipe caused more damage than she expected.

"You think that could stop me? You are nothing but a lowly child who got yourself into a big mess. Little girls who play with matches get their fingers burned," Pennywise said as he turned around to face Maggie. He grew almost five times in size as he towered over their now tiny bodies.

Maggie was breathing heavily, more than usual. Her friends were just threatened and she felt vulnerable, like whatever she did wouldn't make a difference. Maggie's breath hitched and that's when it began. The panic attack. The my-best-friends-are-going-to-die-and-I-can't-do-anything-about-it attack.

Her chest went up and down rapidly as she tried to hide it. She couldn't let the monster know she was afraid. She had to be strong. For him.

"I will no longer be afraid of you!" she screamed out a It. "You have tormented me and my friends for long enough. It is time you die."

Pennywise shrunk a little in size as it pulled the thick rod from its disformed face. It charged towards towards the rest of the club, huddled up against the wall with pieces of scrap in their hands to defend themselves as much as they could.

"Is that so? I think we should play a good old game of would you rather!" Pennywise said as it grabbed Bill and clung to his neck. "Would you rather I feast on every single one of you little twerp's fear and flesh, or I can just take him and you'll just leave us be. And then I'll have my long rest and you will all live to grow old and lead pitiful lives until old age takes you back to the weeds."

Everyone looked around the room at each other with terrified stares.

"No," Stanley said as he separated from the group.

"Excuse me?" Pennywise he dragged out his question.

"Take me instead. If I wasn't so horrified of this monster and hung back in the group, we would all have been so much more brave, so much more powerful," he looked back at Maggie who had the most petrified look on her face, "So take me instead. Not Bill."

"Gladly!" Pennywise smirked as he dropped Bill to the floor and with some inhumane force, it slammed the group against the nearest wall and crawled viciously towards the suddenly fearless boy.

❁❁❁