chapter nine: lemonade and sunshine

'I found a little ray of sunshine,
That was here the entire time.
It was shining right in front of me,
And now I can call it mine.'

________

________

—FLASHBACK—

It is 1979, and Stanley Uris had just moved next door to Margaret Saunders. Margaret curiously peered out her bedroom window as she saw a lonely curly-haired boy, about the same age as her, carrying small boxes into his new home.

Margaret huffed and sat at her desk, fiddling with her worn shoelace. She had been practicing how to tie her own shoe all by herself, but her fingers always got tangled up with the string.

Margaret gave it one last go. Build a teepee, come inside. Close it tight so we can hide. Over the mountain and around we go. Here are my arrows and here is my bow. Her mother taught her that rhyme, but she didn't stay long enough to help her actually understand it.

Margaret stopped fidgeting with the lace and gave up. She trotted down the stairs to the kitchen with her bright yellow sneakers still on.

"Daddy, who is that new family moving next door to us?" Margaret asked curiously.

"I don't know, Sweetheart. Why don't you go over there and introduce yourself? I'm sure they could also use a hand unpacking," Leonard replied.

"Okie, Dokie."

Margaret felt a little bit nervous. She thought the curly-haired kid was cute.

She skipped out the front door of her house, and headed towards the new family. As she started towards their driveway, she tripped on her untied shoelace and fell straight down. Margaret hissed in pain as she looked down at her scrapped knees and elbows.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt?" A light voice came from above her. Margaret was blinded with sunlight, so all she could see was a sea of endless curls. Her face turned red and she looked away.

"Oh, yeah. I think I just scratch-Do you need any he- My name is Margaret," she stuttered, embarrassed.

The boy could help but giggle. He thought the girl sprawled out in front of him was cute.

"I'm Stanley. Stanley Uris."

"Nice to meet you Stanley Uris," Margaret said as she stuck out her hand for him to shake it. He took it with a big squeeze, and they shook hands.

"Do you need help unpacking your stuff, or are you already done, or do you-" Margaret was cut off.

"I think I'm good. Do you want to go inside for some tasty lemonade? It's my mom's recipe, which is ten times better than any lemonade in the world." Stanley confidently stated.

"Sounds delicious!" Maggie cheerfully said.

The both walked into the boy's home, not noticing the fact that they were still holding hands.

"Stanley, honey, I need you to- Oh hello! Who is this?" Stanley's mother walked into the hallway and looked at Margaret.

"This is Margaret, our neighbor. We are going to be the best of friends!" Stanley said with a dimpled smile on his face as he turned towards Margaret. She grinned cheerfully back.

"Do you think we can have some of your yummy lemonade?" Stanley said.

"Why of course! Margaret, might I add, what a beautiful name." Stanley's mother complimented.

"Thank you, Mrs. Uris. It's French. Do you know any French? Cause my parents were of French descent and they learned when they were about my age." Maggie had a tendency to ramble on, Mrs. Uris just found it adorable.

"I actually don't know any french. It would be nice to learn one day though. Let me whip up some lemonade for you two," Mrs. Uris said as she headed into the mostly empty kitchen.

Stan led Margaret an open spot in the tiled floor and sat.

"So, Margaret tell me about yourself. What's your favorite animal?" Stanley asked, holding out his fist and pretending he was holding a microphone.

"Oh, I don't know. I can't chose just one. How about...all of them!" Maggie replied, with a grin on her face.

"Good answer. Now get ready for question two. What is your favorite toy?" Stanley asked and reached out his hand again.

"Hmm, let me think. Probably either a Rubik's Cube or an Etch a Sketch. My dad says it's good to use my logical and artistic side of my brain in order for me to learn better and improve my memory," Maggie quoted.

"Ooh, that sounds smart. I like using spirographs in my free time. Last question, are you ready?" Stanley asked.

"I am!"

"Drumroll please!"

Margaret started kicking her feet on the floor beneath her.

"What is your favorite color?"

Margaret giggled as to how she thought the question was going to be more dramatic, but she didn't care.

She smiled greatly and said, "Sunshine."

❁❁❁