24

Nico's POV

"Nina you get to come home today!!" Dylan yells while he's jumping up and down by the bed, as I've come to know him I learn he is very enthusiastic about pretty much everything.

"I know Dylan."  Nina laughs, her laugh makes me smile.

She gets in the wheel chair and I grab the cruches behind her, Dylan wheels her down the hallway and is purposely having close calls with dodging random object.

"Dylan stop!"  She yells as he almost find her into a trash can.

"Sorry your big head keeps getting in my way."  He laughs and she looks up at him giving him the side eye.

After we help get her into the car, I hop in the back seat and Dylan starts driving. 

"So Nico how long are you staying?"

"I leave tomorrow at 2, coach wants me back a day before the game." 

"Sounds good, I have a game tonight so I appreciate you taking care of her."

"Its my pleasure."

We get her up into the apartment and situated on the couch where she immediately turns on NHL network.  Dylan leaves to get ready for his game and it is just us.

"You know you don't have to watch that."

"I want to."  She mumbles.  "Can you make some food?"

"Sure baby."  I walk over to the kitchen and grab a box of Mac and cheese.  She is so down, and I know why but I feel bad I can't do anything to help her.  I love her and I hate seeing her suffer when I can't help.  Before I know it the Mac and cheese timer dings to snap me out of my thoughts.  I grab the bowl and set it down on her lap before grabbing my own and sitting down next to her.  She starts eating and I see her deep stare to the screen as she watches top shelf.  I then see her check the time and switch it to a different channel, I look up and see it's the women's Wayne State game against Mercy.  She sets down the empty bowl and intently watches, after a few minutes a tear runs down her face.

"Turn it off."  She mumbles.  I switch it back to NHL network.  "Thank you."  She says while wiping her tear.

"Baby are you ok?"

"Do I look ok?"  She motions towards her leg.  "Nico I can't do this, my head is throbbing and my leg hurts and I can't do what I love for a few months.  I just sit here and waste away for what seems like eternity while my team is out there getting better.  All because I had my head down and made a fucking mistake.  I can't do this."  She puts her face in her hands and starts crying.  I lean over to hug her.

"Baby this wasn't your fault.  I know you are mad you can't play but don't blame it on yourself.  It will be Ok, I promise."

"Nico they are out there getting better, playing, winning without me and I need to be out there with my team.  I can't just sit here and waste away for these months.  I-I don't know what I'm going to do with myself."

"Well just take it easy, don't hurt yourself.  Be here in the moment, even if that moment is on the couch bettering your game mentally more than physically.  I love you Nina and we will get through this, together."

"I love you too nico."  She hugs me and soon after we turn on Dylan's game and watch until she falls asleep leaning on my shoulder, my arm around her.

Dylan eventually comes home and I am half asleep, my arm still around Nina on the couch but I here him laugh and pull a blanket over the two of us before he goes to bed.  I'm so happy he likes me.  I drift off to sleep being happier than ever with Nina in my arms.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●
Lmk what you guys think 💕