1 - England

Since Wattpad doesn't permit multiple dedications, I would like to mention four authors who indirectly provided inspiration for this story.

@henry_scott @Frode92 @RainerSalt @jeff_bond

***************

The approach was subtle and indirect. Interest in his University record and the impressive skills displayed in advertising media, his chosen field.

Eager to embrace the interest and the accolades, it wasn't long before Richard Carstairs followed those courting him down the sugar path they  provided.

The offer was one of romance, adventure and important service to country. That was the promise, the lure-the lie.

**************

1 - England

It was over a soggy sandwich and a milkshake on a busy boardwalk plied by seniors, nannies and dog walkers, Richard was given his first detailed assignment. Having completed his university course and achieved exceptional marks, a position had been secured for him in the promotional section of a charitable foundation in which the Agency had a deep interest.

He was to insert himself into the owner's good graces through the man's daughter.

Previously his duties had required the very boring and disappointing task of reporting gossip gleaned from idle remarks, opinions and behaviours within the university population.

This at least aligned closer with his own perception of the secret world of intelligence. All the weapons, driving and tradecraft training could now be unpacked and ready to use.

After a short but detailed explanation, Richard suddenly experienced first assignment doubt. His handler, Nathan Fischer, a stubby runt of a man with a black head of oily hair and a pair of impish lips that pouted beneath a blunt nose, continually patted his back encouragingly and bravo-ed his abilities.

"This is a piece of cake for a young man with your ability. Charm, wit; you can't miss."

"But to what end?" Richard mopped a rain of sandwich juice from the plate in front of him.

"Ah, Richard. Not the end, not yet. Just the beginning, my boy. Just the beginning. Winning the hand of the fair maiden, Cora, is the very beginning. When that goal has been established, we then move on to ingratiating ourselves to the father, Dalton Whycliffe, and that, dear Richard will be the start of the meaty part of your play."

"What if I can't?"

"Richard, Richard . . . can't is unacceptable." Nathan it his third cigarette of the lunch and with a parental smile continued to encourage his protege's abilities.

"Really?" The sarcasm was thick.

"Yes, really. and we would be quite pleased to have this achieved with a minimum of delay."

"How long do I have?"

"As I said, a minimum of delay." Nathan's voice hardened. "You have already had an introduction, my boy, that's a running start." A fleshy hand patted his and Richard made a face. "A generous dose of attention to the delightful Cora and as I said, some continental charm . . . it should be a simple effort to achieve and if anyone has that ability, Richard, well . . . it's one reason we chose you, isn't it."

"This is serving my country?" Richard sucked on his milkshake straw and considered the man across from him. Apparently, it was not his brief to know the end goal, he was simply asked to begin down a road and follow instructions.