|seven|

vii

vii. italiano and mythology

I awake to an empty bed. Jasper had probably left sometime last night after I fell asleep. I got out of bed and decided to grab the drawing that I apparently drew and took it downstairs, ready to ask my aunt about it.

"Aunt Cami?" I call out and see her on the kitchen Island reading a magazine. "Can I talk to you?"

She nods so I take a seat next to her. I place the painting in front of her "I drew this. But I don't remember doing it and yesterday, I made the ground shake! Am I... am I going crazy?"

Cami just laughs "You're of age now Mars."

"Of age?"

"You're a witch. A very powerful of that if you could make the ground shake" She says.

I shake my head and give her a disbelieving look "Witches aren't real"

"But vampires are?" She asks raising her eyebrows.

"You know. How?" I ask.

"Witches know about the supernatural and I could tell your boyfriend was one from the pale skin and eye colour"

"So mom knows too?"

She shakes her head "Your mom isn't the eldest, is she. I am, so only I got the whole witch gene thing. She has no clue of the supernatural"

"So what do witches do?" I asked giving her a questioning glance.

"They're protectors. Whether it's to their own kind, werewolves or humans. But you-you're the first witch who is a protector to vampires" She says before gesturing to the drawing.

"And that drawing you did. It's predicting the future. You can sense something coming so you draw it down subconsciously. Some witches are stronger than others. But you have potential to be as great as your great-grandmother Josie."

"Witches are much different than the fairy tales you read. Witches are able to do many things. Again greater witches can do more than lesser witches. And your powers can get out of control if you're not careful. That's what your ring is for" She finishes gesturing to my ring that was on my index finger. I take a minute to take in everything she just said.

"So I'm a witch?" I ask one more time, causing my aunt to laugh at me "Yes dear, you're a witch"

"Can you teach me some spells and stuff?" I ask grinning. She gives me a look that read 'calm down' "I will if you promise to take the whole witch thing seriously."