chapter two.

CHAPTER TWO,
    DON'T TAKE KINDNESS FOR WEAKNESS.   

She pushed the door open to the flower store

She pushed the door open to the flower store. Her eyes searched for the correct flowers that she could buy for Caroline, since the Bennett cousin was planning on buying a gift for somebody who needed affection desperately – Caroline. Selene walked further into the store, offering the owner a bright smile.

"Can I help you?" The owner asked politely, advancing toward Selene, who was daintily running her hands across the leaves of a flower. She looked up, nodding with vigour and slapping on the most innocent smile that she could muster up. Selene happened to be the sort of person to appear extremely giddy at all times, even when she felt completely exhausted and lifeless inside. Now was one of those moments, where she slapped on a façade in order to upkeep her demeanour.

"Have you got lilies, by any chance?" Selene questioned warmly, holding her bag up further over her shoulder. The owner nodded, gesturing for her to follow him, the curly headed Bennett obliging and carefully stepping over a fallen flower, continuing to follow him.

Selene had wasted her day immensely. Aside from taking a trip out to the hospital to visit Caroline ( in which she didn't even do, the large bouquet of flowers had been given to Elena as a 'friendship' gift), Selene had remained at home for majority it her day. She wasn't bothered in the slightest about being at home and acting like she had just done a three hundred mile sprint, but it was her official second day in Mystic Falls and she hadn't done anything particularly amazing with it. That's what immensely irritated Selene.

She was forced back into reality when the owner stopped, causing her to bump into him. Selene blinked repeatedly and moved away. "Here you go — don't come to the counter to pay, you might as well just do it here."

Slapping the cash into his hands, Selene retrieved the flowers and began to walk out, nonchalant about having she change back. As she pushed open the door to the flower store once more, she couldn't help but notice the amount of flowers she could've picked from. Caroline likes roses, doesn't she? Selene shook her head in annoyance at herself and continued walking out, pulling her car keys from her pocket as she approached the aforementioned vehicle. Her gaze wandered across the square of Mystic Falls, and there Damon Salvatore stood, half shadowed by the trees that seemed to keep him away from Selene.

The curly headed teenager raised her hand slightly and gave him something that resembled a wave, but was responded with his traditional smirk. Selene refrained from rolling her mocha coloured eyes and opened her car door, leaning over to the passengers seat to lay the flowers down carefully.

Throwing another glance back at where Damon was creepily standing, she found he was no longer there. In truthfulness, she knew that'd happen; he was a vampire, for Christ's sake! They relished in the fear that implemented itself into normal human beings, but Selene was anything but a human. She pivoted around, unable to flinch when noticing Damon standing behind her. "What do you want, Damon?"

"Just dropping by to say hello," he smiled widely, one that had ulterior motives behind it. Selene looked at him expectantly, folding her arms over her chest. She was patiently waiting for him to add a witty remark in, and knowing Damon, the man would have to throw a derisive or facetious comment in and pretend it wasn't offensive. So Selene was not shocked at all when he spoke again. "You Bennett's are dramatically alike, aren't you?"

"That doesn't concern a Salvatore."

"Well, actually, it does. You see, we're on the same team right now. You have miraculously made your way into the Save Elena gang – congrats!" Damon cheered in mock enthusiasm, then dropped his façade, laying both hands on Selene's shoulders and gazing into her eyes. "What are you?"

"I'm annoyed, sexually frustrated and exhausted. Shall I go on?" Selene responded wittily; she always had a way with compulsion. It was easy to deflect, especially when gripping vervain tenaciously in your hands and pretending it wasn't there. Momentarily shocked at her remark, Damon released her and watched as she tilted her head to the side.

"Want me to help you, with the second option?"

"Pretending I didn't hear that." Selene announced insipidly, turning again to get into her car, but being stopped by Damon yet again. She released a huff of frustration and pursed her full lips, evidently annoyed with his actions. "Leave me alone, Damon. I have better things to do than stand here and speak to you?"

Due to Damon's superior behaviour and incessant need to be validated within his friend group, he immediately scowled at Selene's snappy statement. She gazed imperiously up at him, before getting in her car, slamming the doors. Damon watched as she stuck the keys into the ignition and drove away.

"SORRY i'm late, I was pestered by an... insect earlier on." Selene apologized for her lateness, referring to Damon as the insect. Caroline shrugged, though that caused aching to pulsate through her body. Selene approached the seat beside Caroline's hospital bed, while the blonde threw a blanket and pillow onto the seat. The lilies were laying upon the small desk that came with Caroline's room, an abundance of other flowers and 'get well soon' cards adorning it, alongside a few larger presents and one balloon. Selene considered Caroline lucky for having such supportive friends.

"What type of insect bothered you?" Caroline questioned, understanding her use of the word. Selene's gaze flickered to the television in the room, the volume down enough so Selene and Caroline could talk properly without yelling over the obnoxious blaring of the TV.

"Damon Salvatore."

"He's a bit of an ass, but you'll get used to it." Caroline grinned broadly at Selene, masking her sudden defensive actions toward Damon, and replacing it with a joking manner. Selene arched an eyebrow suspiciously, but remained quiet. A bland look seemed to be the go-to expression for Caroline, the girl had shamelessly been watching Selene for the past five minutes and although Selene noticed around two minutes and thirty seconds ago, she couldn't bring herself to question Caroline's motives.

        "What are you?" There it was. A question that happened to be always directed at Selene Bennett, no matter the circumstance. Damon had asked her the question already — and was responded with a sardonic remark that evidently showed she didn't want to explain it any further than she already had. Selene Bennett was human enough to realize that Caroline Forbes, under any other form of pressurisation, would've never mentioned it. But she was compelled, and Selene was guessing it had something to do with the man that had already asked. He knew she was coming here.

        She was already exhausted with handing Damon a remark that silently informed him to leave her alone. Selene had ran out. "Human. And you're compelled. Goodbye."

        Selene abruptly stood from her seat, jerking her head toward the flowers. "Keep them." With those last words uttered, Caroline, whose lips had formed a thin line, watched Selene offer her a false smile and then walk out of the hospital room without any slight sign of remorse.

        "Well, she certainly ain't human."

word count:  1232 words.

authors note: this is a filler and
it's boring but still