CHAPTER SEVEN.

ethereal !
7. ( belong to the devil ! )

THE HOUSE WAS DEAD SILENT WHEN SHE RETURNED HOME

THE HOUSE WAS DEAD SILENT WHEN SHE RETURNED HOME. UNFORGETTABLY silent, dreadfully silent. It was as though all sound had been sucked out, replaced with a void that tainted her home a nefarious colour. A blood red. Leilani moved with caution, easing off from the front door and holding the sharp keys in her hand, ready to stab somebody if necessary. She wouldn't call for her mother; she may be the issue. It had been installed into her brain to remember the virus Martha had, the one that'd turn her into something resembling a rabid animal, of course. One that would bind Leilani's fate without an ounce of doubt. If Martha was succumbing to this thing, this parasite living inside of her, then Leilani would have no choice. No say. They did what was necessary and unfortunately, this was the epitome of necessary.

      Leilani rounded the corner to the living room hesitantly. The silence refused to ease up, and Leilani longed to her the whimsical sound of her mother speaking and cooking her famous stewed chicken. Leilani had avoided her mother when she got sick. Fearing she'd die, Leilani left her alone majority of the time, claiming to find a cure, although both knew there was nothing to cure the virus. It was impossible to stop it from spreading, from succumbing to the virus wholly and allowing it to kill you. It would happen eventually.

      She jumped out unexpectedly, mouth stretched far too wide for some normal human being. But neither of them were just humans, were they? Martha attacked her daughter, causing the girl to drop her keys, stumbling backward while her mother's jaw dislocated, allowing it to become wide enough.

      "Mama, please!" Leilani screeched, attempting to get away from Martha. The woman had an insatiable desire for flesh, blood. Particularly the one that came from her own kind, like her daughter. She'd need to be quarantined, but Leilani knew what was necessary. She wouldn't allow her mother to die in such a horrific way, to perish at the hands of a fucking virus.

      "I'm so hungry, and you forgot to feed me, Leilani." Martha snarled, snapping her teeth at Leilani threateningly. The aforementioned girl moved backwards even more, backing out into the hallway and whimpering in fright. There was nothing more frightening than realising your own mother was trying to gobble you up for lunch. Leilani knew she feared a lot, but Martha was not one of those fears. She welcomed her; well, she did. She won't be anymore.

     "I- I think I found a cure, so please stop it, Mama." Leilani muttered quietly, her tone gentle in fear of her mother. The house was cold and there was no sunlight; there were blackout curtains placed over the windows so Martha wouldn't feel irritable. You have done everything in your power, Leilani.

      "Yes, dear, but you smell so delicious." She responded, licking her lips before lunging, heading directly for Leilani's neck. She grunted, trying to remember where the familiar sword was. Bedroom, upstairs. Left. Leilani hissed when Martha's nails dug into her forearm, being forced to shove the woman back. Leilani made a dash for the stairs, panting heavily and running up, only for her mother to attempt to drag her back down.