the prologue.

PROLOGUE,
     COUSIN LOVE.   

She was exhausted after carrying a plethora of boxes for ultimately one hundred and twenty minutes, she had been completely worn out

She was exhausted after carrying a plethora of boxes for ultimately one hundred and twenty minutes, she had been completely worn out. Now, the curly headed girl was sitting on the couch of the Bennett home, flicking aimlessly through the channels and hoping to find something to saturate her boredom enough before Bonnie came home.

       It wouldn't be long now. Selene had asked around before assuming Bonnie was already home; she didn't want to bestow the gift that was herself upon Bonnie Bennett without the element of surprise. Selene's eyes wandered across the landscape that would be her new home, and thanked the heavens above that she wasn't entirely stupid; she'd made the choice to move into the bedroom closest toward the tree line, so she could jump out if necessary.

        Selene perked up in interest upon hearing the faint sound of keys twisting in the front door, accompanied by two voices. One that she recognized to be Bonnie's, and the other completely unknown. The curly headed Bennett settled down again; there was no surprise there if Bonnie wasn't alone. The voices got louder as the door opened, and it struck realization within Selene, she had stupidly forgotten to move the boxes.

        "Why are there so many boxes in your house?" The unknown girl asked curiously, her tone holding amusement as she looked around, "You planning on moving out any time soon, Bon?"

        "No...?" Bonnie was befuddled. There was no sign of boxes earlier on, when she left her house, and now she was back, in a house with a blaring TV and boxes spread about her usually organized home, "Wait..."

        Bonnie approached the living room with an air of hesitance about her. And there she was. Sat with her legs dangling loosely off the sides of the couch, her hair draped across her shoulders as she blankly watched TV, her interest piqued at the sight of vampires in Supernatural. Bonnie barely registered Caroline's question, and the witch rushed toward Selene in a fit of elation, "Selene, you're actually here!"

        As if Selene knew Bonnie was there — which she most likely did — the girl jumped over the couch, welcoming Bonnie with a hug filled with fondness and enthusiasm. Caroline watched suspiciously while the two shared an embrace, both girls laughing excitedly, extremely giddy about one another's presence.

        Moving away, Selene eyed Caroline in veiled interest, arching a tidy eyebrow at the aforementioned blonde headed human, "Sorry to intrude your day out, girls. I didn't expect Bonnie to come home with friends. I'm Selene Bennett, Bonnie's cousin."

        "Cousin?" Caroline repeated facetiously, absently checking her nails in boredom before cracking a wide smile, "It's great to see you here! I'm Caroline, Bonnie's best friend."

        Bonnie and Selene exchanged equally amused looks before the latter grasped Caroline's hand, shaking it kindly. The two released each other, and silence ensured for ephemeral moment, until Selene took the opportunity to speak up again, "I'm making chilli tonight. Would you mind staying over for dinner?"

        "I advise you do." Bonnie inputted, grinning widely at Caroline's expression, "She's an amazing cook."

         "If it's better than Elena's sucky chilli, then of course I'd be glad to join." Caroline smiled broadly at the Bennett's obvious admiration for each other. Selene clapped her hands together in excitement before rushing off to the kitchen, muttering about how it was going to be the greatest dinner she'd ever made.

        NOT that long later, simply about an hour or so, Selene placed the red coloured dish down onto the oak wood table, a wide smile crossing her countenance as she did so. The aroma of chilli wafted into Caroline's nostrils, and gladly, it didn't smell horrendous or burned at all; in fact, it smelled deliciously mouth-watering. Selene's lips creased into a grateful smile as she situated herself opposite Bonnie, tapping her hands nervously on the table, awaiting Caroline's response as she dug into the chilli she had prepared for her.

        It was a few moments later when Caroline let out a hum of delight and continued digging in, being met with Selene's obvious approval, "Bone apple tea, darlings."

        "Did you just...?" Bonnie questioned in masked amusement while watching Selene dig into the graceful dish she'd made. The caramel skinned beauty looked up from her food and cleared her throat awkwardly, taking a sip of her expensive wine.

        "Yes, Bonnie, I did," Selene responded with an equal amount of amusement, her gaze drifting along to Caroline contentedly, "Are you liking the dish?"

        "More than liking it. I love it!" Caroline exclaimed enthusiastically, rewarding herself with Selene's extremely thankful smile. She showed her gratitude in minimal ounces, and Caroline would learn to realize that as time passed on, "So, Selene, what brings you to Mystic Falls?"

        "Family issues, I suppose," Selene placed her fork delicately down, folding her hands together. She directed majority of her attention to Caroline, occasionally taking a peek at Bonnie, "I may have pissed off some of our family in a way, and now I have to come here. To be truthful, it was getting rather boring in England."

        "How old are you?"

        "Seventeen. I'm eighteen in three days." Selene answered all of Caroline's enquiries with a soft tone, inviting Caroline in. Bonnie briefly looked at the time on the clock hanging loosely against the wall, and clapped her hands together intriguingly.

        "Have you enrolled for school here, Sel?" Bonnie asked, her eyebrows furrowing when Selene allowed a laugh to pass her lips, "What's so funny? You're seventeen."

         "It's so cute how you're worrying about me, Bon," Selene giddily smiled at her cousin, her uttermost elation not going unnoticed by Caroline nor Bonnie, "But don't fret, I've already taken the chance to enrol while you was out."

        One thing that was understandable about Selene was that if she needed something; she'd get it. She always had the situation under control no matter the circumstance, and continuously managed to get people to bend at her will if necessary. If anything was too hectic, she'd simply calm it down with her voice. But Bonnie didn't think she'd cope with the emotional and physical stress Mystic Falls bestowed upon people. Selene Bennett was many things to certain people, but she'd break under too much tension.

        "I have to get going, my mom's gonna kill me if I don't," Caroline flashed a genuine smile Selene's way, glancing gratefully at Bonnie, "It was wonderful to meet you, Selene. I'll see you tomorrow, both of you."

        "I'll walk you to the door." Bonnie announced, pushing away from the dining table and leading Caroline out, leaving Selene in her own thoughts. She must've been silly to return to Mystic Falls without reasoning, but Bonnie would need her help one day, and Selene wouldn't fail to provide her cousin with it.

        They were family, and Bennett's always had a saying, a cliche one but something important nonetheless: you always stick with family, without doubt.

word count:   1162 words

authors note: you shall see more of bonnie and selene's friendship later on, probably in the first chapter. but welcome to ethereal ! love you all.