Chapter 30

Of course Forest Johnston knew about the willow tree swing. It was his willow tree and his swing.

Idiot.

But there was no time to turn around, he had seen me. A look of surprise flashed across his face as he recognized me.

My brain shut down.

"Hey!" I said, "sorry I didn't mean to bother you." I tried to laugh casually, I don't think it worked.

"Oh, it's no problem," he said an easy smile appeared on his face. And this is where I wish I had walked away. I couldn't think of anything to say, not being very good at small talk, so my stupid self blurred out the first thing that came to my head.

"So," I started, "what's your favorite bread? I like pita if I'm being honest."

Stupid. Stupid. STUPID.

Forest blinked, taken aback by my comment, I grimaced.

"Sorry," I said, a blush overtaking my face. "You can ignore me, I'm just gonna," I pointed back towards the house and forced a chuckle. Why was I so awkward?????

I began to walk away when his voice stopped me.

"I like white bread."

I turned, suprised, and saw the grin on his face. It was a different smile, one that the cameras didn't get to see.

"Oh, you're one of those people," I said with a smile to match his.

"A very basic choice, I know," he nodded, standing up, "Emma, right? I'm horrible with names."

"Yeah," I responded, and inwardly cringed. Everytime I talked to anyone who lived here I was reminded of how boring American accents were. Everything sounded 'posh' in an English accent, and I was painfully aware of how flat my vowels were whenever I spoke.

"Already packed?" He asked, his head tilting to the side. A chunk of his hair fell to the side as well, and my eyes caught on the movement. I nodded to his question, as my eyes moved up to the willow tree as a gust of wind moved the branches. "Have you ever been to Spain?" he asked, and I felt a little bad. I was so bad at small talk he was initiating the conversation when I had bothered his alone time.

"No, I haven't," I responded, "I took a Spanish class last year so I know a little, and the tutors here have helped me so I can speak it pretty good but I've never left America before this."

Forest nodded, "I alwasy enjoyed Spanish classes." He said, looking up at the willow tree as another breath of wind flowed through the swaying branches. "It's an interesting language."

I nodded, not sure what else to say.

His head snapped back down at the sound of a phone ringing, his hand shooting to his pocket as he shot me an appologetic glance, pulling out his vibrating phone. I smiled and pointed back towards the mansion, "I'd better head back," I said quietly and he nodded.

"I'll see you on the plane," then he answered the phone.

I could hear his voice softly drifting through the garden as I walked back along the path to the giant building Forest called a home. He was nice, and way more pulled together than I could ever be. I wondered what he would have been like if he went to my school and wasn't a gorgeous billionaire. He'd easily fit in with any group of people.

My thoughts were inturrupted by my phone buzzing in my hand, a text from Alison:

"Cora trouble, you should probs get back!!!!"

I groaned, this was never good.