Chapter 4

The same day...
Emma's POV

When I went home the next day I could barley focus on my homework. My thoughts kept going back to what Brett had said: "Oh, don't worry yourself over me darling, I'm better off then you ever will be."

How could he be better off?

"Emma?"

"What?" It's my sister.

"We're watching 'Star Wars', you coming?" She asks.

"Yeah," I slide off my bed and walk downstairs. The movie is starting, and the words fill the screen.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

Grace's POV

My phone buzzed.

You have a new text message!
From: Rebecca
Heyyy

To: Rebecca
Heyyy wht u doin?

You have a new text message!
From: Rebecca
Nutin u?

To: Rebecca
Nutin either

You have a new text message!
From: Rebecca
Dude, can u believe that Brett came 2 our tabl?

To: Rebecca
No!! I thought E's face was funny when he did tho...

You have a new text message!
From: Rebecca
Yea, but I don't believe that she actually got 100...

To: Rebecca
Me neither, but whtevr

You have a new text message!
From: Rebecca
Yea...

"Grace!!"

To: Rebecca
Gtg... Tlk 2 u latr

"Coming!"

You have a new text message!
From: Rebecca
Kk! Bye!

I rolled off my bed.

"What do you want?" I yell as I clomp down the stairs.

"It's almost dinner time, set the table please," my mom says as she carries a steaming bowl to the table. I grab some plates and cups and help her get everything set up then she calls the rest of the family down.

We eat a meal of Chinese takeout that my mom made look like she kinda made it, but I don't really care....

I love Chinese food!

After dinner we all go our deprecate ways and I go outside to jump on the trampoline with my neighbor, we talk about the competition and then we have ice cream and before I know it it's almost bed time.

Before I go to bed I search the internet for clues on what I'll need to know for the next round of tests that Forest would put out. I personably couldn't wait to see him and I hoped that he would show up when we were testing or something.

Emma wouldn't admit it because she's crazy, she doesn't like to talk about boys a lot (but I forgiven her and still love her anyway). I grew up around boys, I have three older brothers and so I'm used to boys. Emma an Rebecca say I'm addicted, but it's just natural.

I didn't find anything useful, all I saw was that Forest was being bombarded by the US government and that they didn't think that he was being fair to all the students who we're trying to make it into the competition. Which I thought was stupid. This competition is for smart people, if they can't pass the tests then they aren't smart!

I got bored so I crawled into bed and tried to calm my brain down and go to sleep, it was almost 12:30 by the time I actually did.

The next day was a Saturday. My neighbors came over and tried to get me to come out and play with them, but I needed to study. I tried to search for things to study and didn't find anything so I searched SAT tests and tried to take them, or at least find out what I needed to know. By the time it was lunch. My brain was like mush.

I decided to call Emma to see how she was doing.

I picked up my cell phone and hit the third speed dial.

Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring.

"Hello? This is Emma's phone!! Leave a message after the beep and if you spam me you will owe me chocolate!"

"Emma pick up you stupid smart phone and call me back! I'm really stumped on what to study and hopefully the 100 Directions girl an help me out! Peace out, your very own sandwich shop." I hung up.

Why wasn't she at her phone? She was usually always on it. I guess either she was busy or she is ignoring me.

I tried calling her three more times, but she didn't pick up. I didn't leave her messages on all of them because I like chocolate too and I don't feel like giving her some of mine. Then I texted her.

To: FLASH GORDON
Where r u?!? I'm so bored of all this stupid studying, but u don't want to stop... Wht should I do?!?! (And pick up ur phone!)

Then I had to do some chores. Maybe Emma will text me back after I had finished that.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

She didn't. I ate dinner and got ready for bed. We watched the Lego movie and she still hadn't called or texted me back! Maybe she was dead...

I would see tomorrow at church.

Hopefully she wasn't dead because she was the only one who I could study with.

I went to bed, mentally exhausted and fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.