My mom shook her hand with a warm smile.
"Nice to meet you Mrs?.." Jasmine said.

"You can call me Ma or mama baby girl." My mom said.

"Okay and mom this is August. My boyfriend." I said while eyeing her down.

"Boyfriend? What happen to Dylan?" She said with a confused face. Bringing up Dylan always irritated August it did me as well which I should of told my parents we were broken up But I just didn't wanna bring up him or the situation.

"We broke up a month ago ma."

"And your already with someone else?"

"Stop it Marlene. Be respectful." My abuela spat.

"Ma. August saved me in a way that I don't think you would ever believe. I'll save that story for another time but all you need to know is I love him and He loves me and we are together." I said.

"Okay okay alright. Nice to meet you August. I'm Marlene." She while going to shake his hand.

"Im August. Issa pleasure to meetchu." He said while grinning a bit.

August was a hood nigga no doubt. He only had a soft spot for me and his family and C. Everything and everybody else he ain't care to much for or about. So to see him act all Nice was turning me on.

"So mama where is daddy?" I said.

"He went to go pick up your granny. They should be back anytime now. You and jasmine come set the table." My mom said.

Getting up and fixing my dress we walked into the kitchen and started setting out plates and everything. We had approximately 15 people coming tonight and it always ended up more then what we were told. I know some of my cousins and my granny and Some aunts and uncles were coming. I was excited to see my family. It's like old times.

"You miss me yet?" A deep voice blew in my ear.

I turned around and there stood the best cousin ever. Kyrie.

"Ky! Oh my god! I've missed you so much." I said jumping into his arms.

"I've missed you too Brooke. How you been? You look good."

Kyrie was someone I was forced to grow up with. I didn't have any siblings but me and him were so close I guess he was like a brother too. His dad died when he 6 and his mom basically became a drug addict after that. She picked and choose when she wanted to be his mom. So he was always welcome into our home and we've been so close every since then. When I got depressed he moved to Arizona for a business program which I was happy about for him but I've missed my bestfriend.

"I'm good. I'm great actually. And you? How's everything in Arizona?" I said while setting the napkins down.

"It's ight. I mean I'm moving back here next week."

"Oh my god, why?"

"It's just, Arizona not home. I wanna be around my peoples and Still be able to work ya know? Eventually I'll move out again but the younger you are the more time you need to spend witcha family."

After a few moments my mom called everybody to sit down. My dad and my granny still haven't came yet due to traffic. My mom was holding off on eating because she wanted to wait for them which was annoying me.

"So Brooklyn, where do you work at?" My cousin Katrina said.

"I'm not working right now actually.
I'm in school though."

"Wow. Unemployed." She said while giggling a little bit twisting her hair.

For some reason growing up she always felt better then everyone and I guess some things never change.