secret love || non-au

Why can't I say that I'm in love? / I want to shout it from the rooftops

*

"This is such fucking bullshit."

Camila sighs. She knows Lauren is angry. She gets it. Honestly? She is, too. Because, really, who wouldn't be? It's a mess. Everything's all over the place. Their feelings, their public feud. That's right, the one that's entirely made up. Their alleged hating each other. They haven't been able to catch a break in months, and it's slowly killing them. Their friendship. Their relationship. "Do you want me to come over?"

"Honestly, Camz..." Lauren trails off. For a minute or two, no words are spoken, and the only sound Camila hears is the girl's breathing. It tells her she's extremely upset. Which is– it's not unusual lately. "I don't think it's a good idea. If anyone notices you're staying at the same hotel as us, we're–"

"–screwed," Camila finishes. "Yeah, yeah, I know. It's getting old." She lets out a breathless chuckle that really, truly isn't meant to sound like she finds any of this funny. "You're right, this is crap." A hand leaves her thigh to run through her dark hair. Shaking her head, she makes a decision. "I'm coming over."

"Camz, no– this is just going to–" the girl tries to be reasonable, Camila knows this, but she also knows that she's always been stubborn and certainly won't listen to–

"–blow up in our faces. Lauren, you keep saying the same things over and over. I know you're right but– fuck management. I'm coming over to see my girlfriend." Camila hangs up before Lauren has the chance to interrupt her again. While she grabs her phone and key, she stops for think if maybe she really shouldn't do this, for all the reasons Lauren usually hits her with. And then– she leaves. Is out of the door before she can reconsider her choice. Before long, she arrives in front of Lauren's room, knocks, and when she sees her girlfriend– "I can't believe these fuckers make me want to ditch you every goddamn time we're in the same city."

Lauren hugs her. "I know I said it's not safe for you to come over but– can you at least give me a kiss?"

Her pout. Her stupid pout. It gets Camila every single time. Damn Lauren and her eyes and her smile and her hair and her soft skin and her– and her pout. She wants to be mad right now. Angry at the world. Management, in particular. But she can't be. "I hate you," she mumbles against Lauren's shoulder. Ends the hug just to lean up and plant a tiny kiss on her girlfriend's lips.

It somehow makes them both relax immediately.

"I think we both know who you actually hate, but I'll let you get away with it."

Camila affectionately rolls her eyes at the words and softly hits Lauren's upper arm. "You're a nerd. And I do hate you."

"I'm hurt," Lauren declares dramatically. "But nah, mami, you really don't." A wink follows.

"I don't– you–" Camila blushes. Well, internally, at least. She can't believe Lauren always manages to turn her into, well, this within seconds. When, ten minutes ago, she was ready to kill a man. Or two. She decides to change the subject. "So what are Norminally up to?" she asks, trying to sound bored. She has a reputation to uphold, after all. And that involves not physically blushing, and not sounding too affected by– things. (Fact: The so-called reputation flew out of the window years ago. But she can pretend, alright?) Then, she crosses the room and plops down on the sofa.

"Gross," Lauren says, approaching the sofa, too. She sits down. Faces Camila. Raises an eyebrow. "Can't believe you call them that."

"Come on, they teased and called us Camren for years. Why can't we have some fun, too?" Camila chuckles. Someone has to laugh at her jokes. And since Lauren hasn't been around too much lately, she's taken over the part.