Ch 54: Power over you

Lara

I stared back at the girl with the wide blue eyes, the eyes that I knew well because it was the first thing I noticed whenever I looked at my own reflection in the mirror. My eyes had swirls of green in the middle, and even a bit of yellow near the pupil, which I often found odd, but I had been told that my eyes made me look more exotic, and I now knew the reason why..

My eyes looked wilder because I was part of a world I didn't know existed my entire life, until I was kidnapped by vampires, as bizarre as it sounds.. Seemed like, it was always kind of the road life pushed me down, getting kidnapped and all..

But what Gabriel did was far worse than anything I had ever heard, let alone experienced. He was ready to get revenge in the most disturbingly wrong ways there were, making disgusting threats and promises that he actually provided.

The thought of him made my stomach turn, and I had the urge to throw up just at the simple memory of that cold face of a lunatic that tortured me in every way for two days almost. I refused to let the memories sink in because I knew what his deeds did to me..

Seeing Max dead broke me to my very core. I cried for the first time in my life, sobbed actually, and already grieved after a guy that was never just a friend to me, but the only family I ever knew of and had.

Again, the plain thought of him dead, laying lifelessly on that dirty gray ground, brought tears in my eyes and felt as if someone was instantly pushing a damn pillow over my mouth and nose.. I was losing the ability to inhale the air because of that lump in my throat.

I found myself cussing underneath my breath and closing my eyes for a second to think about something else.. Anything else really..

He's alive.. I repeated to myself. He's fine. Max is alive. And that was all that mattered.

No, it didn't matter that he still didn't remember me.. Xander didn't fail to mention that he was even healed now, and that was enough for me to keep breathing.

I didn't discuss the subject with Xander that much because I knew how Xander's mind worked, how his obsessive side could kick in, how his possessiveness could dominate him and how he could go as far as to hurt Max. Vampires acted all similar to one another, even though Xander wasn't even slightly close to the monster that Gabriel was.

So I didn't bring it up after he assured me 'my friend was alright'. I kept the need to allow my emotions flood me and drown me to myself. I pushed it away. I refused to let it all out because I knew that I still felt some heaviness in my chest, even after I found out Max was alright..

Perhaps the simple memory was choking me still.. The trauma. Or maybe it was the fact that I knew that Max had no idea a girl named Larissa ever existed in his life, let alone had grown up with him and had been by his side his whole damn life..

It was better that way. It was better for him not to remember that I even existed because if he knew, he would have to deal with me being taken, and if he found out who I was taken from, he would automatically get involved in a world of monsters that I gave my all to keep him away from. A world filled with creatures of the night, witches and whatever else it was that was roaming around those woods.. A world that I was part of.

I could never lie to Max, so I also knew that if he got his memories back about me existing and all, I would have to explain to him what I was and that I found out who my parents were. That I had witch blood flowing through my veins, and a werewolf venom to top it off. A Luna that had the power to compel men, as a damn cherry on top.

I stared at that girl in the mirror and I found it hard to believe my neurotic, stubborn, clumsy self could ever seduce a man, let alone compel one or temp him to the point of blind obsession.