The Guardian Vampire - 12

Start from the beginning

"We'll break the curse. I know the answer is in that book." Jarith said. Tara looked over at Ethan. 

"It's the only choice we have. The book would do a lot of damage in his hands and we wouldn't stand a chance against him." Ethan said. 

"Or I could just burn, but oh no I wouldn't want anything to happen to Ashley." She shook her head. 

"Tara! We would never let you burn. Who do you think we are?" Lara cut in. "For now though, I think you need to rest. Guys?" Lara added, signaling the guys to leave the room.

"But we have so much to do and I honestly can't sleep, not anymore." Tara said, biting her lower lip. Right now Lara looked stronger than her. Tara felt like the human as her fear was still lingering. 

"Listen to Lara. We will figure it out. We wouldn't let anything happen to you or Ashley." Jarith said as he touched her cheek softly. Tara gave him a small smile as he left with Ethan. 

Tara felt the absence of Nate's warmth as he smiled down at her and also left the room. She couldn't help but notice that in his eyes was concern and a small yellow flame beginning to form. Now that it had been so long since she had fed from him, his emotions were distant. She felt a bit of darkness that bothered her. She smiled and thanked Lara as she brought her a warm washcloth to wipe her blood stained face. 

"Are you okay? He didn't hurt you too bad, did he?" Lara asked, sitting on the edge of the bed and looking towards Tara. 

"I'm fine. Just a bit angry that he was able to get to me like that. I was trying to be strong." Tara said, shruging lightly. 

"He tends to do that. It's not your fault, Tara." Lara said, touching her hand softly. 

"I know. He wasn't always this evil, you know. I don't know what made him into the monster he is today." Tara sighed. 

"I wish we knew." Lara said, standing up. "I'm gonna go see what I can do to help the guys. Ethan seemed really worried about you." Lara said. 

"He did? Oh." Tara smiled softly. Lara gave her a knowing smile as she left the room. 

Tara got herself out of bed slowly. She was still feeling a bit warm, but she took it as a good sign that she was able to walk. She looked at the clock by her bed and it read seven P.M. The sun would almost be going down. She fixed her skirt and went out of her room, ignoring the others telling her she had to rest. She found Ethan and Lara sitting close to each other on the couch, the spell book open between the both of them. 

She could hear Jarith talking on his phone from one of the rooms. She started to walk towards Jarith's voice when she heard the low rumble of a car stopping outside of the lake house. She then heard a small voice and knew it was Alex. She put on a smile, not wanting them to worry about her. When the front door opened, Alex saw her and ran to her. Tara smiled and bent to give the young boy a hug. 

"You are okay." He said happily. 

"I'm more then okay. I feel great. What you get at the store?" She asked him, looking at the bag he was holding. 

"Oh I got markers and papers. I was going to make you a card so you can feel better." He frowned. 

"We can still make cards. We can make them for everyone, to make them happy." She told him, ruffling his hair and taking his hand. 

In spite of the drama going on and her possible death, or Ashley's, Tara felt as though she had to keep the child occupied. No child should have a life like this. She led him to the kitchen table where he spilt the contends of the bag on the table. There was markers, construction paper, scissors, and tape. Ashley and Cam followed them in to the kitchen with their arms full of groceries. 

"I don't understand why people drive like lunatics here. Do they not care if they cause an accident and die?" Ashley was saying as she put the groceries down on the center island of the kitchen. 

"I'm sure they know what their doing." Cam replied as he also put the groceries. 

"You would say that. You drive like a lunatic too." She said, opening the refrigerator door roughly. Tara looked at Alex and he just shrugged and began to color on a green piece of construction paper. She heard Ashley grumbling as she put things away. Tara held in a laugh as she noticed Cam got scared away by her glare as he tried to help her. 

"Whoa, don't be rough with the food." Norah said, coming in to the kitchen. Tara then let out a small laugh. 

"I can be rough with whatever I want to be rough with." Ashley huffed, throwing a bag of chips at Norah. 

"TMI, Ash. Nobody needs to know how you like it in bed." Norah winked and went to sit by Alex. Tara sat on his other side. 

"Cool, is that outer space?" Norah asked Alex. He grinned. 

"Yeah. Do you guys wanna draw with me?" He asked excitedly as he dumped out all of his markers. 

"Sure." Norah said. 

"I'd love to." Tara said, taking a piece of red construction paper. She took a black marker and began to draw with Alex and Norah. She knew this happy moment wouldn't last, but it was nice. Alex brought a lot of child like happiness to their group and she was glad for it. Some part of her was telling her this wasn't a place for a child and she wanted nothing more, but to have Ashley and Alex safe. Unfortunately, they had no more parents and Aiden would just go after them. They were safe with her and the others for now.