Chapter 27

The remainder of the night at the club moved on pretty much as it normally did except Alex spent most of his night nursing the wrist Avriel had broken and stayed away from Ariel and her bar

The remainder of the night at the club moved on pretty much as it normally did except Alex spent most of his night nursing the wrist Avriel had broken and stayed away from Ariel and her bar. He brooded, and he plotted, and he schemed. If he could not have what he wanted Avriel didn't deserve it either. Alex wanted Ariel. He couldn't see that she didn't want anything, anything at all to do with him. He would never understand why a woman would or how she could be interested in anyone but him when he was there. He simply wouldn't. He was angry almost belligerent when he spoke to Esther. All he could talk about was how Ariel should be his, how Avriel had no right to do what he did. He didn't speak loudly though he really wanted to scream and go break Avriel's pretty face right in front of Ariel. Then she would see his superiority and go with him. He didn't speak the thought he didn't need to it was broadcast to all that knew how to listen.

Esther sat down next to Alex in a private booth in an effort to de-escalate the situation.

"Somehow I do not believe that would go the way you plan." She looked at Alex in all seriousness. "He may not look like much, but he is far more powerful than you can imagine."

Her beautiful brown eyes held Alex's rich blue for a long minute before Alex finally responded. "But he is so small."

"Many powerful things come in small packages. Besides he did claim her. Yes, he did, and his claim has been recognized by all but you. He was perfectly within his rights to do as he did. Now you would be wise to close or mask your thoughts, there are many in here that can read them, including Avriel." Esther left Alex with that thought rolling through his head and returned to her place next to Scott at the bar above.

Upstairs, Scott scoffed and nearly choked on his drink. Alex would never be powerful enough to take on Avriel. Avriel was so controlled and precise. He broke Alex's wrist without giving up even a fraction of his energy. He regained it instantly with an exchange of glances and a slight touch of hands. Alex had little to no control, and he was young and foolish. No, he could not touch Avriel.

In addition, he was wrong. Avriel had claimed her. He would not mark her or take her, that was not his way, not at all. He didn't need to. No, he hadn't made his intentions clear, but then again, he never did except maybe to the one they leaned towards. But it didn't matter, the girl was drawn to him and he was drawn to her. Their bond, the one they somehow forged right there under everyone's noses was formed. She was Avriel's until he let her go or she rejected him. So, what he did to Alex was extremely mild compared to what he could have done.

In the corner, cool eyes watched, and open ears paid far more attention than they should have been and took note of the dynamic and interaction between them all. The council hadn't mobilized but this group was proving to be far more interesting than any they had encountered.

In another part of the city, Mrs. DeMont while she was out shopping for a dress to wear for her next dinner event. He was a handsome man with rich dark hair with just the right amount of wave, cut so that it perfectly accented his crisp thick brows and dark brown eyes. His eyes were almost exotic the way they were set in his face. He wore the beauty of youth so cleanly on his face. His jaw was square, and he had a slight cleft in his chin like George Clooney. In fact, if George Clooney, Ben Affleck, and Antonio Banderas could have a love child, it would have been him. He was just gorgeous and intriguing, elegant and graceful in every one of his movements.