Chapter 25

Her next night at work Ariel arrived to find both Avriel and Alex at her bar

Her next night at work Ariel arrived to find both Avriel and Alex at her bar. Avriel was sitting quietly in his usual spot without a drink in hand.

"I tried to serve him, but he said he'd wait for you," Darius said with a warm smile.

"He said that much?" She looked at him knowingly.

"Well no, he just said your name."

"Sounds right." Ariel turned to give Avriel her undivided attention. Alex stepped up to her before she could turn fully towards Avriel. She never wanted to hit anyone harder in all her life. He came between her and the one person she wanted to talk to. Her poker face was impeccable, only her hand clenched into a white-knuckled fist at her side betrayed her anger.

"Hi!" Alex called cheerfully.

She turned gracefully to meet him. "Hello. What can I get for you tonight?" Her tone was gentle but edged with anger.

"He insisted on waiting for you as well," Dar whispered as he walked behind her. "Sorry." Mentally she shrugged it off.

"Tonight? A shot of whiskey and one of those, what did you call it with mint." Alex asked happily, too happily.

"A Jimmy. Okay. Any preference on the whiskey?" She almost rolled her eyes. Alex made maintaining her composure very difficult, but not in a good way.

"What about what he usually has?" Alex looked at Avriel.

"Odyssey?" When it was clear that he didn't recognize the name she clarified, "Scotch."

"Oh, I don't like Scotch. How about Crown?"

"Okay." Ariel almost told him that they were so close to the same thing and that the only difference was that one originated in Scotland while the other in Canada. Instead, she just served him what he asked for.

After serving Alex his drink, Ariel nodded and made her way down the bar to where Avriel waited patiently for her. His eyes flicked to Alex then back to her before they smiled at her. She brought his drink to him and a glass of water. Once again, their hands touched, and a silent conversation took place. They smiled into each other's eyes and laughed in the moments that they had to share.

Ariel went on to serve other patrons but always returned to Avriel for that little bit a sweet contact and to keep his water full, of course. Kevin laughed from his window seat. He found it interesting to watch their exchanges. Avriel seemed to drink his water down at least two times faster than normal, not that ordering water was normal before the previous night. Ariel always seemed to notice the moment that glass was empty and would return to fill the glass. She'd linger with him just a little bit longer than she would with any other patron. At least Avriel was a good guy.

Kevin turned his attention to the large black man that sat just a few feet away from Avriel at a small table behind him. He would make an excellent bouncer. He was very well muscled. He reminded Kevin of Arnold Schwarzenegger only black. He was certain that he spoke English, but he had never heard him speak. But everywhere that Avriel was Austin was. He could only assume that Austin was his bodyguard. Not that he couldn't defend himself. Kevin had seen Pissed Off Defensive Avriel once. Once was more than enough for him. Those crimson eyes. He never wanted to see him again. Quiet Flirtatious Avriel was rather fun to watch. It was honestly interesting to see how captivated Avriel and Ariel were with each other. It wasn't something he saw every night; two people that had honest affection and respect for each other.