Chapter Four: And You Are Here Because...?

That same day, we get a surprise visit. "Aiden!" I can hear Katie yell from the staircase. "There are some people here to see you!" As soon as I race down the stair, I can identify the "people" she is talking about.

My parents; dearest Mumsy and Pa. Neither of them makes any move to embrace or greet me with any level of family welcome.

Here's the thing; my parents gave me up when I was 10. Around that time, I was also accepted into Melissa's home.

That is when I met Katie, Melissa's eight-year-old 'niece', who lost her parents to a house fire that same year. Mother is the first to speak. "What is this; a harlem?" No, actually it isn't, Mother. I would supremely appreciate it if you'd not comment on the looks of my home in such a way. "No, Mother."

Mother looks around again and asks "Where is your maid, Aiden? Do your help not have living quarters on the grounds?" I shake my head back and forth. No, Mother. We have no help."  "It's just the two of us living here."I motion to Katie, and then to myself.

Mother sashays over to the curtains and pulls them shut. "I see... Richard, we must leave; our son does not require our presence any longer."

"I have never, nor will I ever, require your presence, Mother!" Katie nudges my shoulder. "Aiden... stop..." I do immediately; I love Katie, and will do all that I can to please her.

If she is even the slightest bit disturbed, I strive to fix that right away. Katie means the world to me, and if she is unhappy, then so am I. "Aiden, my love? Are you alright? Do you need a doctor?"

I shake my head. "No Katie; I'll be fine. You can call them all you want, and book as many appointments as you want, but I'm not going." She rolls her eyes and says "God, you're so stubborn sometimes." And sometimes I internally agree with our friends when they say you're bitchy.

Instead of vocalizing my innermost thoughts, I collect myself and embrace her, while kissing her from temple to shoulder. She starts to moan and leans her head back, taking in every moment of the kisses.