Chapter Three: Hell to Pay

Author's note: In case you want to know, Fire Realm inhabitants are normally harmed by water, but the only kind that does not harm them is water from the Fire Realm, unless it is cold water.

The next morning I wake up to find Katie missing. I look in all the places I can think of: the kitchen, the library, even the foyer is empty. Then I hear water running; she must be in the bathroom.

I knock lightly on the door and ask "Katie? Are you in there, my love?" I hear a creepy voice drone "Come in, Aiden; I won't hurt her... promise..." I open the door and gasp.

"Katie!" Ayla's grandmother, Kate, is holding her over a tub full of water - which I assume to be cold, by the way Katie's face is distorted. "She hurt my baby!" Kate screams. "Nobody hurts Mama's baby!" 

"Wait a minute; who did she hurt?" 

"Gryth; my owl. I found him lying on the cobblestone floor in the kitchen, with an injured wing; she was the absolute last one to touch him." 

"Then why didn't you get Ayla to-" 

"My granddaughter is not to touch my bird at any time whatsoever. She understands the rules." 

"I see." 

"I must take my leave now, children. Ta-ta!" 

"Wow... just... wow..." 

Kate's visit shook us both to our cores, even if Katie was the only one even remotely hurt. Speaking of Katie, she crawls over to where I am standing in the doorway and latches onto my legs, muttering something in that is impossible to hear, something that sounds like "I know she'll come for me."

In case I hadn't heard her clearly enough, she runs her fingers from my calf to my ankle, then halfway up, and down again. Now I know what she said: she needs comforting. I comply by crouching and running my fingers through her auburn hair. 

"Aiden?" 

"Yes, my love?" 

"I didn't hurt Gryth; I just touched him and he fell on the floor. Ciro tried to catch him, but he wasn't fast enough. And now my best friend's granny hates me." She spits out the word 'granny' like it's a curse or something. I hold her close and ask "Did you have breakfast, my love?" She shakes her head no. 

After breakfast, Katie calls Ayla and Ciro's house; to talk to Ayla, probably. I can hear the conversation they have, with Ciro involved as well. 

Ayla: "Hello?" 

Katie: "Your grandmother is such a bitch, Ayla!" 

Ciro: "Hey now; let's not jump to conclusions, Katie." 

Katie: "You think I'm jumping to conclusions, Ciro? Her grandmother tried to kill me! With cold water!" 

Ayla: "Oh; I had no idea. I'm so sorry, Katie..." 

Katie: "It's fine, Ayla... Sorry about that..." 

Ayla: "We're alright, Katie..." 

As soon as Katie hangs up the phone, I walk over to the sink and start to wash dishes. When I start to run the water, Katie shies away from the sink. "What's wrong, sweetheart? Are you alright?" 

"Th-that water... i-is it warm?" She grabs my hand, and I guide her toward the liquid-filled basin. 

"Yes; it is. I know that Kate scared-no- terrified you with that, but she's gone now, sweetheart; there's no need to be scared anymore. I will protect you no matter what, and you know that." 

"I know, honey..." She yawns. "I'm tired. I need to go back to bed." I kiss her hair and hold her close before letting her leave the room. "Have sweet dreams, my girl. I love you so much..." 

An hour later, I hear screaming coming from our room. I break away from reading the Pyrix and investigate. When I enter the chamber, Katie is curled up into a ball, muttering something about kitty-birds.

The kitty-bird is the national animal of the Air Realm, called so because of its song, akin to thae meowing of Earth cats. I bend down and stroke her hair with one hand, hopefully adding some sentimentality to this relationship of ours. She mutters something about kitty-birds again and asks me to kill her, to make her death slow and painful.

I shake my head and say "Please, Katie... No; don't do this... If your father dies, who will be the heir to the throne?" She looks up and says "So that's what it's going to come down to, is it? My being the heir to the throne? Then you can take this back, Aiden Kent!" She takes the ring I had given her off of her finger, flings it across the room and storms out. 

An hour later, I find her sitting on the couch, a few photo albums spread across the cushions. I can see captions such as 'First date' and 'Egan Day celebration' under the pictures. As I start rubbing her shoulders, Katie sighs. "We used to have so much in common, Aiden... What happened to us? Moreover, what happened to me?" 

"I truthfully do not know, my love. Want me to braid your hair?" Yes, please, Aiden. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, honey. I never meant it." I plant a kiss on her lips and she sighs. "Do you know why I put make-up on every day? Because I knew you liked it." She's right; I do like it. And for that reason, I am a glutton for punishment. If I got this type of punishment every day, I would be on cloud nine.