Chapter 22: Military Academy

“You should really be thankful that I found you, Rendell.”

       “I thought you were off for personal training.”

       “Yeah, but I thought of stopping by a bar first but I didn’t expected you to be there.” He laughed at Rendell. “You really don’t look like the type, believe me.”

       “I just wanted to drink, that’s all.” He replied.

       “Why? Did something happen?” Chris asked.

       “Thank you for your concern…but I can’t share it to you.” Rendell said. He really wanted to share it to Chris all his problems but he knows that he’ll be in danger if he lets anyone know about his secret. “I don’t mean any offense, Chris.”

       “I know that don’t worry. I understand that you are a secretive type.” Chris observed. “You also want to shoulder and take responsibility of everything.”

       Rendell thought about what Chris said.

       “You know…when I first saw you I thought you were us like the other nobles, Rendell. I even believed that being the nephew of the king might have landed you a position of a knight. I thought you are that kind of person.” Chris said. “But as I spend time with you, I realized that you are a good and kind person.”

       “Chris, you’re just drunk.” Rendell said.

       He laughed. “No. I only drank a few bottles. On the other hand, you are the one who should be drunk.”

       “I have a high tolerance for alcohol.”

       “Oh I see…” Chris said. “But come on, I meant what I said. Believe it or not but I am really a good judge of character.”

       “Whatever…” Rendell muttered. “How long are you going to follow me?”

       “Until you’ve finished with your business. Where are you heading anyway?”

       Rendell was half glad that Chris decided to come with him. He like his character and he is not boring to be with. He says what he thinks openly and is not afraid of anything.

       He breathed a long deep sigh. It was already around midnight or sometime before midnight and they were walking on the long cobbled street noiselessly. He hasn’t talked to his mother ever since that night. Prince Beckham had been trying to contact him but he refused and ignored him. He just wanted to be alone and think things through. He didn’t want to think of his problems for once. He knew that he’s being a coward and he doubt Chris’ judgments of his character.

       “Hey, where are we going?” Chris asked again.

       “To the Military Academy.”

       “Why are we going there?”

       “Turn back, Chris. Don’t follow me anymore.”

       “Hey, that hurts. I just want to accompany you.”

       “I appreciate the thought but no thanks. I don’t want you to drag into what I am going to do.” Rendell said.

       “What are you going to do?”

       “Just don’t follow me anymore.” Rendell said.

       “Rendell, I bet you’re up to something bad.” Chris said.

       He sighed.