Chapter 31: A Busy Morning

Start from the beginning

"She didn't come home last night, and I haven't seen her all morning! Alec, I'm getting worried. What if she got lost? Or had gotten attacked by something?! Or, maybe, she went back to Phoenix Drop and had gotten captured by bandits again?!? We don't know if they're really gone, I mean, you aren't! Ugh, where could she be?!" My little sister then runs her hand through her hair in frustration.

Alec replies, "Uh... right behind you?"

Owl then flips around, facing me, and her eyes light up in relief. "Y/n! Oh my Irene, I thought something bad had happened to you! DON'T EVER DO THAT TO ME AGAIN!"

I laugh. "I'm sorry, Owl. I went over to spend the night at Vylad's place and completely forgot to come over and tell you. I hope I didn't worry you too much."

Alec chuckles, putting a hand on my sister's shoulder. "See? What'd I tell ya, the lovebirds were off cuddling and being all secretive about their relationship." Owl shoves Alec's hand off her shoulders while I blush, knowing that most of that were completely true... he just doesn't know it yet.

Then, something dawns upon me.

Are Vylad and I in a relationship? He never said we were official, we just confessed our love and kissed! Does that mean I'm his girlfriend? Ugh, I need to make sure...

"Y/n? You okay? You seem to have spaced out... AGAIN!" Owl exclaims, shaking my shoulders.

I nod. "Yeah, it's just... Owl, now that you know I'm alive, could I go back to Vylad? I forgot to ask him something."

Owl nods back. "Yeah, sure. I'm just glad to know you're safe!"

I smile, relieved that I have such a caring sister.

Suddenly, Alec smirks. "Have fun flirting, Y/n!"

I roll my eyes, turn, and walk away.

When I get back to the treehouse, I climb up hearing absolute silence. I finally get up, and I pop back into Vylad's house.

"Hey, Owl's completely fine now but-"

That's when I see Vylad sitting on the edge of the bed, hands in front of his face, crying.

"V-Vylad?" I quickly ran to his side. He didn't look up at me. He didn't even flinch. He just sat there, sobbing softly.

In between his quiet sobs he whispers, "I-I don't deserve y-you..."

"Vylad, I left you for ten minutes, what happened...? Please, look at me..."

After a few minutes, he finally turns to me, taking his hands away from his head, revealing his now red, puffy eyes. I immediately hug him, not wanting to see him in this state.

"Vylad, tell me what's wrong. Something must've happened to make you like this."

"It keeps telling me you'll leave me. It keeps telling me you only pity love me. It keeps telling me to stop loving you... but I can't... I love you too much... I hate what I've become!" He screams. Shoving his hands into his hair.

Once I process everything, I bring my lips to his. I know what "it" is: his Shadow Knight side, that I so badly want to punch right now. I never thought that it would affect our relationship so much...

When I pull away from Vylad, he sniffles. I sigh, telling him, "I'll never leave you. I love you too much to do that... and it's not pity love. It has never been pity love. I have loved you from the start, even when I didn't know who you were... so, when the dark side of you acts up again and I'm not here, think of the words I've said today, okay? I'll never stop loving you, even when you stop loving me..."

Vylad pulls me into another hug. "I'll never stop loving you, I promise! Y/n, I'm sorry I'm burdening you with this so quickly, especially right after we've confessed. I didn't expect you to come back so soon, I thought, if I did break down, I would be able to clean myself up before you came back. Why did you come back so quick, anyway?" He asks, pulling away and wiping the remaining tears from his face.

"I wanted to ask you something... Vylad... are we, uh, a couple? I told you I loved you, and you told me you loved me, but we never established if we were together or not," I explain.

A faint blush tints his tear-stained cheeks. "Oh, yeah, I forgot about that..." He smiles, and nods, "Yes, of course, we're a couple, but I have one request to make about our relationship."

I smile brightly. "...and that is?"

"Keep us a secret."

"Huh? What do you mean? You want to keep our love... a secret?" I ask.

"Yes."

"Why?"

"I don't want anyone to be dragged into... this. You know, my being a mess of a Shadow Knight. Also, I don't want Laurance to find out... he'll just want to love Aphmau more, and I don't think it's wise, considering he's more unstable than I am, having less knowledge about what he is and how to control himself. I don't want him going through what I just did, or worse. Besides, I like the adrenaline of hiding things from people," He chuckles.

"Is that why you're so cryptic with people?"

He shrugs, smiling softly. "A little bit, but I always have a reason to be cryptic, besides that."

"Alright... oh, also, Vylad?" I ask, wrapping my arms around him in yet another loose hug.

"Yep?"

"You're not a mess, and if you are, I'll clean you up and fix you again," I say, kissing his forehead.

"Have I told you I love you?" Vylad asks, gazing into my eyes.

I nod. "Yes, you have."

"Well, I'm going to say it again: I love you, and you are absolutely perfect. I love you more than anything else in the world- even cake."

"I'm a lucky girl, then... but I love you more!"

Vylad laughs. "Impossible."

This morning alone was very busy, but being here with Vylad makes it all worth it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/n: Happy New Years everyone :)

I know, this chapter was kinda all over the place but... hey, I hope you enjoyed anyways!

~Owl