Chapter 4

"My- my parents? But they were just at breakfast 30 minutes ago." Savanna sputters in reply.

"Yes, but they were in a car accident. I know it's hard to beleive. They were taken to the hospital this morning." The principal said softly.

Savanna nods, tears rolling down her cheeks.

"They'll be okay, Savanna." The principal reassures her with a gentle smile.
"I'm sure the hospital visit is nothing serious."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"They're gonna be fine, Sav! Mama said that you can stay at our house until they're better." Stephenie tells Savanna hopefully.

Stephenie's mom had picked up the girls early from school.

"Do you girls want some ice cream? There's a McDonald's on the way home." She offers sweetly, a heavy Spanish accent in her voice.

"No thanks, Mrs. Garcia." Savanna mutters.

"Uh... can I have some ice cream, mama?" Stephenie asked cautiously. Her mother's face went blank.

"No, stephanie! Tu amiga está en una mala situación! ¡Solo déjalo!" She hissed.
(Your friend is in a bad situation! Just leave it!)

"Okay, okay!" Stephenie exclaims, her hands raised in mock surrender.

Savanna giggles at this, which made the situation a little happier.

"Actually, Mrs. Garcia, is it ok if we do have some ice cream?" Savanna asked quietly, a slight smile streaked across her face.

"Of course, girly." Mrs. Garcia smiles.

Stephanie scoffs at this, but was glad that Sav made it possible to get a treat.