Chapter 63

"We're going to Mexico, cabrónes!"
Shawn rolls his eyes as Griffin continues to laugh at himself.
Savanna's head snaps up as her car door opens to reveal a secluded garage. Except, like, a huge version of a garage.

"Welcome to the official Asesinó hanger."
Shawn mutters.
He pulls Savanna out of the car, steadying her with a hand on her waist as she gains her balance.

"Where's Luke?" she gasps, her eyes darting around to take in her unfamiliar surroundings.

"Relax, Sav. He's in the car." Griffin begins walking toward the hanger, cowboy boots leaving prints in the compact sand.

Savanna lets out a small aggravated scream.
"Where the hell is he, Shawn?"

He sighs, tightening her handcuffs, the rusty metal slowly digging into her flesh.
Shawn opens the car door as he takes his hands away from Savanna's wrists.

Lucas is still hunched over his lap.
Breathing- but nowhere near conscience.

Savanna darts over to him, sobbing into his arm.
"What's wrong with him?" she gasps. Raising her voice to a hoarse yell, "What did you give him?"

"Jesus christ, Sav." he growls. "Calm down."
He sighs again.
"Xanax- just a little bit."
He walks over to unlock the handcuffs binding Luke's legs.

Lucas slowly gasps, exhaling deeply after a painful grunt escapes his mouth.
His eyes remain shut.

Her feet glued to one spot, Savanna stares at him in horror.
She'd never seen him in a spot of weakness.

This is Luke- her Luke. Her Luke that she met in the black market trade underneath the old ice cream shop.
Her Luke that took her in and prevented the Asesinós from killing her.
Her Luke that gave her a pistol and a dog and stayed with her on all of those terrifying nights of running away from death.
He stayed by her side even though every step he took was risking his own life.
All of that, but why? It has to be more than just repaying Ian. It doesn't make any sense.

Sav falls to her knees, blood trickling down her hands and settling into the ground.
She falls onto her side, curling up into a tight ball of tears and blood.
Her sobs send salty water into the sand, transforming it into a deep orangey maroon.

The fresh cut in her brow from falling onto a sharp pebble was dripping into her eye.
She squeezes them shut.
And pretends that she doesn't exist.