Chapter Thirty - Comfort

Fires fill the atmosphere with heat and smoke, hiding the sun from Dan's gaze. Metal screams as it burns and falls to pieces. Rubble and ash litter the pavement at the villain's feet as he walks across the scene. The sobs and screams of humans in utter anguish assault Dan's ears, making him want to sink to the ground and hide.

One fire is larger than the others, its shape almost distinctly human. He wants to scream, but his voice is gone. He doesn't know who it is and he's not sure he wants to know. He stumbles back, gasping and inhaling air that is too full of smoke.

The scene changes. The bodies of the CEOs are piled unceremoniously on the pavement, a sign sticking out from the pile by a stake that reads, 'We're only stage two'. From the mass of corpses, one of the dead men stands up and walks towards Dan, blue eyes glassy and empty.

"You killed us, Daniel. How does it feel? Do you like being a murderer?!"

Dan shakes his head and backs away, tears pouring down his face in waves. His heel catches a stray piece of rubble and he starts falling back—

Dan's eyes snap open, his breathing sporadic and his entire body tense. On the TV, Doctor Who is turning over to the next episode. Phil is still asleep, hand on the small of Dan's back. The villain exhales, trying not to tremble too badly as he gently extracts himself from Phil's grip and moves to the kitchen. Instinctively, he starts boiling the water in the kettle and then heads to the bedroom, playing a few songs on low volume in a desperate attempt to calm his nerves. Everything is normal. There's no need to panic.

"Dan?" Phil's sleepy voice calls out.

The villain keeps playing, trusting that the hero will find him on his own. Right now, he might start crying if he tries to talk. Sure enough, a minute later Phil enters the room and wraps his arms around Dan from the back, pressing a kiss to his shoulder. Dan bites his lip as tears well in his eyes, and before he can stop himself his shoulders are shaking with silent sobs.

"The kettle is finished. Come with me, okay?" Phil says, coaxing him away from the piano. Without fight, Dan stands up and lets the hero lead him to the kitchen. He sits at the breakfast bar and tries to calm down while Phil fixes him a hot chocolate and hands it to him.  Dan's heart squeezes affectionately.  It's been this way so many times before, Phil making him a drink after a nightmare, and it never fails to warm his heart.  How did he grow to be so incredibly fond of the man in front of him?  How is it that his fondness for Phil can keep growing even though Dan thought he reached his limits?

"Thank you," Dan whispers as he takes the drink from the hero's hands.

"You're welcome." Phil pauses, observing the villain with sympathy in his eyes. "Dan, you're allowed to wake me up when you have a nightmare. You don't have to deal with it alone."

"I'm sorry."

"You don't have to be sorry."

Dan looks down at his drink, a long exhale escaping his lips. Phil makes himself a cup of tea before leaning on the counter across from him, holding up his head with his hand.

"So, anything you want to mention as we sit here at two in the morning, drinking hot beverages?" Phil asks, a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips.

Dan shakes his head a little, his voice still a whisper. "Not much. You already know the important things. You already know that I'm tormented."

Phil's sympathetic, wounded puppy look only grows. "I'm so sorry, Dan. Is there anything I can do to help?"

"Just... stay with me? Don't leave me alone."

"Of course."

Dan reaches out and Phil takes his hand without a second of hesitation. The villain's eyebrows furrow and he sets his mug down in order to cover Phil's hand with his now free one.

"You're cold," Dan says, brown eyes filling with concern.

"Just a little."

"Grab your tea and come here."

Phil takes his mug in his hands and trails after Dan, stifling a yawn with the back of his hand. He's always willing to help Dan through these things, but most of the time, if it's two in the morning, he wants to be asleep. The villain reaches the couch and sets his hot chocolate down on the side table before grabbing a blanket and gesturing Phil over. Still cradling his mug in his cold hands, he steps over to Dan and lets the villain move him into place. He wraps a blanket around both of their shoulders, grabs his hot chocolate, and nestles close to him. Before Phil can say a word, Dan increases his body temperature ever so slightly and warms the hero to the core.

"Have I ever told you that I love your power?" Phil asks, blue eyes flickering over to Dan as a smile tugs at his lips.

"Once or twice," Dan replies, pressing a kiss to the hero's shoulder.

The villain wraps his arms around Phil from the back and rests his cheek against his shoulder. Phil relaxes against his chest, sipping his tea and relishing in the warmth Dan exudes. The villain finishes his drink, and as Phil takes the last few sips of lukewarm tea, he realizes that Dan is fast asleep against his back. He pumps out heat like a human blanket, the skin of his arms tinged orange. If his eyes were open, they would be the colour of warm, sunset amber. Phil sets his mug down and tucks himself close to the villain, pulling the blanket closer. In this position, he can feel Dan's heart beating steadily against his back. He can feel his soft, warm breaths brushing his shoulder blade. A stupid, silly smile tugs at Phil's lips as he hugs Dan's arms closer and settles down, falling asleep in moments. 

A/N: I'm on vacation right now and my wifi is being really dumb.  Updates will be slow until I return to the motherland (Canada).