Chapter One - First Encounters

"Everyone suit up. We're getting reports of criminal activity nearby," Matthias says, adjusting his glasses. "Don't forget to grab your earpieces. And Phil, I need to talk to you."

Phil takes a deep breath and turns, heading towards the front desk where Matthias sits. As the mission's control guy, Matthias is in charge of receiving calls and sending the heroes out, all while monitoring them and giving them instructions from the sidelines. His telescopic vision makes seeing the danger and making calls on it a lot easier. He's a nice guy, but Phil strongly dislikes getting called over because it usually means that he's going to be asked to stay back and wait for the others to return. With his powers of controlling water and healing people with water, he doesn't make the best fighter.

"Phil, I want you to go out on patrol today. I think the villains may be involved in what's happening right now, and they have someone with fire abilities on their side. We'll need your water if they decide to get involved," Matthias says. Phil nods and Matthias smiles, handing him an earpiece. "Good. Now, go get suited up."

The Brit gets changed quickly and joins the other heroes in racing out into the streets. Matthias gives them an address and they head in that direction, rushing past civilians and cars and buildings. Because of where they're stationed, right in the heart of San Francisco, running is usually easier than taking police vehicles.

They reach a bank and immediately spot the hired criminals running out. Ken transforms into a bear and races towards them, followed by Felix and Marzia, while the others keep a watchful eye out. Phil ushers people away from the area and checks those in the bank for injury, and when he steps out the villains are entering combat with the heroes. He does a quick scan of the street and his eyes lock onto a tall man with slightly curly brown hair. From his hands to his elbows, his skin is glowing orange, and his eyes match the colour of the fire he creates.  He glances in Phil's direction, and the moment they lock eyes he freezes. 

Phil blinks a few times and summons up a sphere of water, tossing it onto a fire the villain created. The man scowls and creates another fire which Phil immediately douses.

"Stop doing that!" he exclaims, shooting fire in his direction. His accent is distinctly British, and for a moment Phil is reminded of home. He shakes the thought from his head and creates a shield of water.

"No!"

The villain stops shooting flames and backs away, breathing heavily as his skin returns to its natural colour and his eyes go from orange to brown. Phil pulls the water back into himself and watches him, panting as well. He doesn't normally use his water to fight anyone, and it's exhausting. The man across from him touches his finger to his earpiece, glances around the street, and takes a step back.

"Don't have to tell me twice," he says, and with a burst of flame he's gone. The other villains race off as well, leaving the heroes standing in the streets with their hired criminals. Phil stabilizes himself against a wall, trying to recover some of the strength he lost in the fight.

"A job well done," Ken comments.

"Yes," Marzia agrees, drawing a stick-figure human in the air and watching as it pops to life.

"Good job today," Matthias says into their earpieces. "Drop your suits off and then you can go home."

The other heroes send off the police van of criminals with Marzia's stick figure behind the wheel and start heading back to Curatrix. Phil trails behind them, his mind stuck on the fire-bending Brit. He didn't expect to run into someone else from England during this excursion, and of course that person has to be an enemy. He exhales, the loneliness inside him making its way to the front of his mind for just a moment before he shoves it down again.

"We're back!" Mark exclaims as they walk through the front doors of Curatrix.

Matthias approaches them with a bowl of water in his hands. "Well done today. Does anyone need medical treatment?"

"My arm is bleeding," Ken says, holding the spot with one hand.

Phil steps forward and takes the bowl from Matthias, using the water in it to heal Ken's wound. It makes his head ache, but he ignores it. This is his job, after all.

"If that's all, you can go home," Matthias says, adjusting his glasses.

Goodbyes are exchanged and the heroes head off to the changing rooms, Mark trailing behind slightly in order to talk to Matthias. Phil reaches his little changing area and strips out of his suit in favour of jeans and a t-shirt, glancing at his reflection in the mirror momentarily. Blue eyes that don't shine as much as they used to stare back at him, and he adjusts his fringe quickly before stepping out of the change room. His backpack hangs on a hook just outside the door and he slings it over his shoulder, desperate to just go home.

He reaches his flat and pushes open the door, only to be greeted by the regular darkness and silence he's come to know. He steps inside, flips on a light, and puts his bag by the door before heading to the kitchen, where dishes from a day ago lie ignored in the sink. He opens the fridge and closes it again, finding nothing of interest. A quick glance at his microwave lets him know that it's too early to go to bed, but at this point he doesn't really care. He heads to his room, settles on a bed that's too big for one person, and lets his eyes fall closed. For just a moment he pictures the tall, curly-haired Brit he met earlier, and that's his last thought before he falls asleep.