Chapter Eleven - Thinking Of You

The warm, fuzzy feelings Dan got from being with Phil evaporate the moment he steps inside the villain institute. The halls are cold and lifeless. Their rooms are white and void of any personality. Dan immediately finds himself wishing for Phil's cozy apartment and the cuddles that the hero provided as he dumps his one measly backpack of belongings onto his bed and collapses onto the mattress. Why does he keep coming back? What would happen if he left and stayed away forever?

Being in the institute makes it nearly impossible to forget everything that he had buried yesterday. Jack isn't walking into his room and flopping onto his bed beside him. For all he knows, he could be dead. Are they going to kill him when the interrogations are over? Or will he be forced to stay in their prison until he loses his mind? He can't imagine that Phil would stay with Curatrix if they act like that, but then again, there aren't many job opportunities for super-powered humans. Dan flops over, burying his face in his pillow and exhaling heavily. He wants to be with Phil so bad it hurts. He internally cringes at the fact that he hugged him instead of pulling him into the kiss he's wanted so badly. Why does he have to be so awkward?

Dan pulls himself off his bed and ruffles his hair, letting out a long exhale. Even though he's been living here since he was nine years old, Phil's house felt more like home than this place has ever felt. He closes his eyes, his mind wandering back to waking up with his head on the hero's chest, and his stomach swirls. He should have just kissed him silly right then and there.

Or maybe he thinks of you as a friend, his brain supplies. Maybe he was just letting you sleep on him because he felt bad for you. Maybe he only got flustered because he was uncomfortable. No hero would want a villain like you anyway.

Dan shuts his eyes, his own self-doubt filling his mind and making him want to cry. He presses the heels of his hands to his eyes firmly and takes a deep, shaky inhale before getting up and moving to the living room and dining room. The rest of the villains lounge around, looking anything but happy. Stephanie sits on the couch, pressed firmly against Matthew's side, while he speaks softly to her. Cry sits at the breakfast bar, resting his head on his hands as he stares vacantly towards one spot in the kitchen. Without Jack, Matt, or Ryan there, it feels empty and even more depressing than usual.

"Where have you been?" Cry asks. Dan hadn't even noticed that he'd been watching.

"Just... out for the night. I have a friend that was willing to let me stay at his house," the Brit replies. It's not even a total lie, although the thought of Phil being only a friend makes his heart squeeze uncomfortably.

"We're villains, Dan. Where did you manage to find a friend?"

"Uh, he's a regular at this bookstore that I go to." Another lie. Phil has only ever showed up to that bookstore twice in his knowledge, and he definitely can't be considered a regular. However, he's not keen on getting scolded for his romantic attraction to a hero, so Dan stays silent.

Cry shrugs. "Cool."

The Brit quietly lets out a lungful of air he didn't realize he was holding and digs around for food in the fridge, his mind stuck on Phil. He wants to see him again as soon as possible. Hopefully nothing will stop him from doing so.

Phil walks through the front doors of Curatrix and heads to the front desk, where Matthias is standing and talking to the secretary. One of his hands is in his hair, fingers tangled around the brunet strands, while the other hand rests on the desk. He glances over when Phil walks in and straightens up, letting his arm fall to his side.

"Head to the lab. We're doing a minor surgical procedure on Jack to get a sample from his eye," he says. "I'll be there in a bit."

Phil nods and heads to the lab, where Marzia, Mark, and Felix already wait. Mark chews at his nails, dark eyes focused on the floor, while the girl sits in a chair with her head resting against the wall. Felix stands beside her, one hand on her shoulder. Matthias enters and starts preparing his station, saying nothing.

"I'm gonna go check on Jack," Mark says, but as he takes a step forward Felix shakes his head.

"Ken and I are going to get Jack. You wait here."

Mark opens his mouth to protest, but then shuts it again as he settles back against the wall. Felix heads out of the lab and Phil takes a seat, distracted by thoughts of Dan. Even covered in bruises with tears running down his face, the villain is beautiful. Phil wanted to kiss him both yesterday and this morning, but refrained. He doesn't want to freak him out or scare him away for good.

Having him on his bed, shirtless and in cotton shorts, had sent Phil's brain into short circuit. The only thing that had kept him somewhat grounded was the fact that Dan was crying and that he was covered in dark bruises from the abuse he endured. Usually healing someone doesn't feel particularly good, but this time it was different. He had wanted it so bad that the discomfort was easily ignored.

Phil glances up as the door is opened and Felix appears with Jack. The villain freezes, his eyes flitting around the lab, before he starts resisting against Felix's prodding. Ken stands behind them in wolf form, his hackles rising.

"Come on, you were doing so well!" the Swede groans.

Jack shakes his head, his breathing growing more and more sporadic and he fights against Felix. It reminds Phil too much of Dan, and he resists the urge to jump up and lead him somewhere safe.

"Put him under, please," Matthias orders, his tone cool. "I can't get a sample from his eye if he's panicking."

Marzia takes a syringe from the table and approaches Jack, injecting the anaesthesia as Felix and Ken hold him still. Jack's fighting grows weaker and weaker as the drug takes hold, and in moments he's unconscious. Mark scoops him up and sets him on the table before heading outside, and Phil follows suit. The other heroes trail after them, watching through one way glass as Matthias performs his procedure.

Phil lets his mind wander off again, hoping he can see Dan again tonight.