Chapter Thirteen - Painful Goodbyes and Welcome Returns

"I didn't ask, but how's the institute?  Has anything happened since the last time we saw each other?"

    Dan glances over at Phil, whose face is illuminated by the blue light from the TV.  He sighs and shrugs.

    "The institute is the same as always.  The only big thing that's happened was the mission today."

    "Are you okay?"

    "I've been better.  How about you, though?  How are you?"

    Phil sighs as well, resting his hand on Dan's thigh beneath their blanket cocoon.  "I've been so much better since we started spending time together.  Seriously.  I was so lonely before."

    Dan smiles and covers Phil's hand with his own.  "That's good."

    The hero grins back and snuggles up beside him, his head resting on Dan's shoulder.  The villain rests his cheek against Phil's hair, his eyes refocusing on the TV.  Part of him demands that he ask Phil about Jack and whether the Irishman is even alive or not, but he can't.  He doesn't want to ruin the moment they're having by receiving an unfavourable answer.  He still worries, though.  He hasn't seen or heard anything from Jack in days.

    "Your hands are always warm," Phil murmurs, pulling Dan back from his thoughts.  The hero's thumb traces back and forth across the back of Dan's hand, his other fingers tangled with the villain's.  "It's lovely."

    "Glad you like it," Dan replies with a small laugh.  "I think my hands have always been warm, but my power just makes them warm all the time."

    "I'm gonna be totally honest in saying that that's one of the reasons I wanted to hold your hand so badly when we went on that walk together."

    The villain actually laughs, taking Phil's hand in both of his and holding it there.  "I'll keep you nice and toasty, Phil."

    The hero turns bright red and looks away from Dan's big brown eyes.  When he looks back, the villain leans forward and presses a small, short kiss to his lips.  Phil blushes even more furiously and wraps his arms around Dan, letting the villain bury himself in his chest.

    "I could fall asleep like this," Dan murmurs.

    "I would be totally okay if you did that," Phil replies.

    "But I can't stay the night because the boss will get suspicious if I'm gone too often, and if I fall asleep on you I'll never want to leave."

    Phil sighs.  "That sucks.  I want you to stay here all the time because I hate the institute."

    "I want to stay here all the time too, but I'd rather not get beaten up."

    Phil frowns and shifts so he can hold Dan even closer, the villain practically in his lap.  Dan rests his head against Phil's chest, barely caring that he can't see the TV screen anymore.  He wants to stay like this forever.  The institute is lifeless and unfriendly, but Phil is warm and solid and safe.  What would happen if he never went back?

    An image of Matt's chest spewing blood flashes through his mind and he shudders, pressing that much closer to Phil.  He can't leave unless he wants to end up like Matt, crumpled on the concrete with blood seeping from the ragged hole in his chest.  It plays over and over again in his mind, and he buries his face in Phil's chest in a desperate attempt to forget.

    "You're safe, Dan.  You're okay," the hero murmurs.  "I've got you."

    Dan holds the collar of Phil's shirt lightly, trying to stop the trembling in his fingers.  The last thing he wants to do in such a vulnerable state is leave.  If he stayed with Phil, they could fall asleep in each other's arms and Dan would be safe.  Either that or Phil is scared off by Dan's nightmares, which is almost as unpleasant as dealing with a nightmare by himself.  He has to go back, even if he hates it.

    "I should probably head home," Dan says with a sigh.

    Phil exhales and pulls Dan back as he tries to get up.  "Just, give me a minute, okay?"

    Dan's eyes lock onto Phil as the hero traces his jaw, pulling him in by a hand on the back of his head and kissing him.  Dan kisses back, wrapping his arms around Phil's neck as they settle back against the couch.  Dan doesn't want to leave.  The thought of going back to the institute, to a cold bed and colourless halls, makes him want to cry.

    "Phil, I don't want to leave," Dan murmurs between kisses.  "I'm scared to go back."

    "I know."

    "I love being here.  I feel so safe."

    "That makes me so happy."

    Dan deepens their kiss, his heart racing with so many emotions he can barely keep track of them.  Phil returns it, his fingers trailing through the villain's hair.

    "I want to see you again as soon as possible," Dan says when they finally break their kiss.

    Phil nods and the villain gets to his feet, moving towards the door.  The hero trails after him, a forlorn look on his countenance.

    "I'll see you later, okay?" Dan says, pulling his shoes on and picking up his bag.

    Phil presses another kiss to his lips and lets him go.  "Hopefully soon."

    The villain nods, and with that he heads back to the institute.  When he gets back, he tosses his bag onto his bed and changes into pyjamas, hoping to get just a little bit of sleep before they have to go out on a mission or something else of that ilk.  He manages to fall asleep for about an hour before being woken up by a nightmare, and he heads out into the hallway in order to find a distraction.

    His distraction is standing at the end of the hallway, led by Cry.  He looks dishevelled but completely unharmed, and Dan can't help but rush towards him and engulf Jack in a hug.

    "I thought you were dead," he breathes, finally voicing the fear he had been too afraid to bring up.

    "I'm okay," Jack replies, returning the hug.

    "What did they do to you?"

    The Irishman lets him go and shakes his head.  "Nothing.  They didn't do anything."

    Dan lets out a silent exhale.  He knew Phil wouldn't be part of a corrupt corporation.  He can't speak for the other heroes, but he knew Phil would never hurt Jack and wouldn't let the others hurt Jack either.

     "Come on, there's no way that's true," Cry interjects, crossing his arms across his chest.  "Heroes are vicious.  They hate us.  They'd take any chance they could get to hurt us."

    "That's not true!" Jack snaps.

    Dan almost agrees, but keeps his mouth shut.  His thing with Phil is a secret that he's not ready to share yet.  He may never share it with anyone.  Matthew and Stephanie enter the hallway, his arm wrapped around her waist, and the bickering villains fall silent under his gaze.

    "Welcome back," Matthew says, nodding towards Jack.  The Irishman nods, his lips pressed into a thin line.  "The boss needs to see you.  He's in UR #1."

    Dan freezes up, watching in horror as Jack nods again and strides down the hall.  The UR's are the worst places you could possibly get called to.  Dan got brought into UR #4 once, and when he left he had six new scars shared between his arms.  He wants to call out, but the seriousness in Jack's eyes makes him hesitate.  Is it too late to run back to Phil's house?

    He should probably stay here and mend the inevitable wounds that Jack will most likely have at the end of this ordeal.  So, with his heart filled with worry, he heads back to his bed for a few more hours of restless sleep.