14.1: A Surprise Development

After the end of the celebrations, members of the royal court led Areiv and Lindsay not to the main tower but the tower to the left. It confused Lindsay, but she said nothing as they climbed a set of stairs which led to a double-door room. As the doors opened, she saw that there was a large bed in the center of the room surrounded by lit candles which emitted smoke of varied colors. Stepping inside made Lindsay lightheaded, and she grasped onto Areiv's arm. He glanced at her in slight alarm.

"Are you okay?"

"I... what is this room?"

"This is the room where the mating ritual occurs for those of the royal court. Is the aroma too great for you?"

"A bit. Um, Areiv-"

"Extinguish the candles and open the window. It seems that Lady Lindsay is overwhelmed."

"Yes, your majesty." Reyarts nodded and went on as instructed. Lindsay switched glances from her new advisor to the other members.

"Areiv... you mean to tell me that there's been others in this bed?"

"Do not worry; the area is cleansed before and after each ritual."

"Still a little creepy. But, um... they're gonna leave... right?"

"This area, of course. However, they must remain to escort us ba-"

"They can't." her eyes widened and Areiv gave her a strange glance before realizing what she meant. He turned to the other Esperians before they departed.

"I must request that there will be no need for the royal court to accompany myself and Lady Lindsay back to our quarters." he surprised the others; they looked at one another before returning their gazes to the Royal Magistrate.

"We mean no discourtesy, your highness. However, the Royal Magistrate must acknowledge it is tradition for-"

"I am well aware of the traditions; however Lady Lindsay has reminded me of the consequences of mating with a human being."

"Oh... they don't know...?" Lindsay looked at her husband but the members bowed towards the two.

"Forgive us, my grace. It appears that we forgot about that... detail of the mating ritual between a human and an Esperian. We shall take our leave." the royal court members bowed once more as they left the room.

"Reyarts..." Lindsay stopped the shorter Esperian, and he turned to her. "Could you send for Emuh and make sure to let him know that we're about to perform the mating ritual?" she asked. As expected, her request confused the advisor, but he nodded.

"Yes, m'lady."

"Oh, and Reyarts..." Lindsay approached him before he left. "I'm so sorry for how I reacted earlier. I wasn't really upset with you; just with the way the guards handled Brad. I shouldn't have put my anger out on you, though," she apologized. The Esperian widened his eyes at her words and opened his mouth but nothing came out. It surprised Lindsay to see his eyes moisten but before she could say anything, Reyarts fell to his knees and placed his head on her feet. "Oh, my God; what is he doing?!" she turned to Areiv as the small Esperian wept.

"You did not need to apologize for whatever way you reacted towards him, Lindsay. No Lady of Esperia has ever done so."

"W-What? That's horrible! Reyarts, please; stop crying and get up..."

"I am not deserving of an apology, m'lady."

"Yes, you are! And I promise, I'll never yell at you for no reason, again. Just, please; get up!" she was glad he stood but huffed when he looked down. "I don't know how the last Lady of Esperia ran things or treated people but trust me; you're dealing with a different one this go 'round! You're not a child, Reyarts... wait; are you a child...?"