8.3: Goodbye

Lindsay sat on one cliff which looked out on the Sea of Buno after the surprise announcement and confessed she at peace with the status of Earth. President Abraham set out to speak with the Royal Magistrate and the Bunodic ruler, someone Lindsay didn't realize existed. He promised Yoji and Malik he would come back to help them configure the system to make contact with the troops back on Earth. Everyone was confident that the earthling refugees could travel to safety.

Lindsay gave out an appreciative sigh; the attack spared her parents, brother and sister-in-law, and the four, along with David's family and Yoji's mother would be there within the week. Yet, her heart ached for her husband. She didn't care for the way he died, not in the least. They didn't get the chance to say they loved each other, and it left a bitter taste in her mouth; the Roses knew for sure one would be by the other's side when it was their time to pass on. Lindsay got cheated.

She clenched his dog tags in her hand as more tears flowed; along with her wedding rings, it was the only other item she had to remember him by. Lindsay hoped he at least didn't suffer. If the attack destroyed the whole state, it was likely no one felt anything when they died. At least, Lindsay hoped that was the case.

As the two suns set, Lindsay relived all their good moments. It would be how he'd wish her to remember him, she reasoned. The vibrant glow made the sea shimmer a vivid emerald green, instantly catching Lindsay's attention. She watched as the glow lingered, even as dusk settled around the area. The sight was bizarre to her; everywhere else dusk descended, but the glow lingered around the waters. Lindsay closed her eyes and shuddered. The air grew warmer and folded around her if only for an instant. She cried harder as it dissipated.

It startled him to find her on the cliff, of all places; while it wasn't a prohibited region, it was quite a hike from the housing building. Areiv had a marvelous view of the cliff from the Esperian bay and grew concerned that it appeared someone was getting ready to jump from there. The Baron, instead of going to check on Lindsay, checked on the person on the cliff who he hoped didn't jump before he arrived. When Areiv got there, he watched her, satisfied to see that Lindsay was not thinking of ending her life.

Emuh was the one who informed the Baron on the status of Lindsay's mate and her home planet; Areiv wanted to console the woman as much as he could. It made him feel better to be beside Lindsay as he took a seat; Areiv was uneasy at how her feet hung from the edge. Lindsay didn't seem to regard him because her focus was on the glow found around the sea, which made Areiv look on in slight confusion along with her.

"... It's him..." Lindsay surprised him when she spoke.

"It is who?"

"I know it's gonna sound weird. But... it's my husband. That's why the glow's still here. Tracy... he's finally saying goodbye..."

"Is that what you genuinely believe...?"

"It's not a coincidence the glow is still right here. Green was his favorite color. Is it... wrong of me not to want him to leave...?" Lindsay quivered out. Areiv watched attentively as the emerald glow dimmed.

"It is not. However, one of the lessons learned as Esperians on death is that... one's soul needs to venture into the other life, whether we accept or not. It is his time to make that passage. You are particularly fortunate to have him remain as long as he has. I have no doubt that... he will forever be in your heart. This radiance is an acknowledgment of that. He will never abandon you, Lindsay." Areiv finally glanced at her. Lindsay couldn't stop crying but she nodded at his comments. The emerald glow completely faded from the sea and she buried her head into Areiv's chest. The Baron let her weep in silence; he didn't understand what else to say or do aside from embracing the woman. Areiv's own heart ached along with hers.

"I-I-I-I'm s-s-s-sorry..."

"Do not apologize, Lindsay. If this is what you seek to do, please do not be ashamed on my account. Esperians deal with grief differently, yes. However... I understand your need."

"T-Thank you so much... for being here..." Lindsay sniffed, struggling to settle down.

"I will always be here for you, Lindsay."

"Cuz your dad ordered you to be?" Lindsay didn't know how she was able to smirk.

"... No. It is what I long for. I do not want you ending your life. I will prevent that... by any means necessary. You are... you have come to be my friend, Lindsay." the Baron confessed. Lindsay stared at him and an amused smile danced on her lips.

"Can we... stay here for a while...?"

"Whatever you desire..."