5.2: Family Matters

It was the day before the Great Buno Races would begin. The Earth team wondered why Keith called a meeting so late. He didn't appear to be his usual self. The crew was used to seeing a stern expression on the man's face. Worry filled his gray eyes.

It almost made Lindsay feel bad for him. The look made him appear older than what he seemed. Keith's hair was a definite salt and pepper mix; Lindsay presumed that he could've been in his mid-fifties. She detected military training but because of how he treated her, Lindsay decided not to care.

The crew remained in the Earth bay, standing around the Silver Stallion. They watched as Keith spoke softly with a Legoom. As the Legoom walked out, Keith cleared his throat and gazed at the team.

"It seems that we have a situation on our hands. The first race will be delayed for at least another week, maybe two."

"What happened?" Bradley asked. The team had practiced almost every day for the past month; Bradley was looking forward to the first race of the season.

"Apparently, someone's mother didn't like the runaround she received about her child's whereabouts. She decided to pay a surprise visit to Roswell."

"Why would someone's mom do that? We're all grown here..." Lindsay wondered out loud.

"That actually sounds like my mother..." Yoji added quietly. Lindsay gave him an apologetic glance.

"She got the media involved. The president wanted no more bad press or speculations on your whereabouts. So... everyone on Earth knows about the races." Keith shocked the team. They all stared at one another with stunned looks before returning back to their manager.

"Not everyone would be willing to believe that. It took us a while to do it." Tim said, and the others agreed. Had it not been for the seriousness of President Abraham, doubts would've lingered longer.

"This definitely wasn't part of the plan. And you're right, Tim; not everyone was willing to believe. It's why the president decided to... have the races aired."

"Wait, what...?" Steve's eyes widened.

"Well, fuck a damn duck; how is that gonna work out?!"

"I know all of this seems surreal but do you hear me using that type of language right now?!" it took Lindsay off guard that the man actually yelled at her. The others adapted to the sarcastic comments and looks he gave the woman but never had he raised his voice at her. Lindsay narrowed her eyes at him.

"Now, hold on a fucking minute! Don't put your anger out on me all cuz Yoji's mom wanted to check up on hi-"

"It was your mother, Lindsay!" Keith glared back at her. Lindsay drew in a quick gasp and grew silent. "Now... it will take a while but with the technology here, it is possible for the races to be aired. That also means you'll be allowed to communicate with your families. The Royal Magistrate has already departed for Earth to assure your families that everyone is safe and sound."

"Well, that'll make believers out of everyone!" Bradley smirked. Keith nodded.

"Malik and Yoji, I will need for you two to stay around to help update the systems here. I have no idea how hard that will be, but given we have a possible two-week window, here's hoping that's enough time. We'll still continue to practice until the day before the races will begin."

"How's Buno taking all of this?"

"Although the initial plan was to reveal everything after the races, Buno and the rest of the galaxy are taking this fairly well. They're all looking forward to debunking myths about alien life," Keith told Steve. The manager looked at everyone else. "Practice will resume in two days. Take some free time." he dismissed the others. Everyone left except for Yoji and Malik. Lindsay just stared at him.