10.1: Father Figure

"Looks like we got this in the bag!" Steve congratulated Bradley and Lindsay when they exited the Silver Stallion. With three races remaining in the season, the Earth team cemented their number one ranking with a second-place finish. Bradley smiled at Steve's comments as he received light pats on the back from Tim and David. The mechanics went to work examining the IR as Bradley turned towards his partner to praise her but he found her already gone and midway across the bay. Her attitude was off, he noted throughout the entire race; she was strictly business as every target Lindsay aimed for were immediate blows. Her unusual behavior remained as Bradley saw Lindsay talk with the team manager; their conversations usually brief with Keith giving her a quick but reluctant congratulatory nod or utterance. This time around, it seemed they spoke fully, albeit in secret.

Even as Malik sought to speak with him, Bradley tuned him out and continued to watch them have their muted discussion. Their faces were strange, at least Keith's was; his full of sorrow and apology. Lindsay, as always, rolled her eyes and glanced away from the man. Even that appeared different; the woman didn't wish to listen to what Keith sought to plead. Something was clearly wrong; Bradley wished he was in earshot to figure out what. All he could do was go by their actions as Lindsay huffed and turned to walk away. But, Keith did something Bradley figured he'd never do: he touched her. It was a gentle grasp of her arm but Bradley knew for a fact that Keith touched no one, let alone Lindsay! The touch had affection behind it, Bradley determined by Keith's reaction, who continued pleading his argument to Lindsay. That unwanted sensation in the pit of his stomach returned as he remained observing the two; whatever Keith stated, Lindsay was reluctant to hear at first but yet accepted as she nodded. The feeling in Bradley's stomach surged and made him turn pale when Keith perked up and grabbed Lindsay's hand.

"Hey; are you even paying attention to me? What's going on over there?" Malik realized that Bradley was not the least interested in what he was saying and peered over where Bradley's attention had moved. Color came back to Bradley's face as he shook his head at Malik.

"S-Sorry. I think they're at it, again..."

"Man, I don't get it. And I thought they were making up! She's done nothing to him. I mean, okay, Lizzie can be a bit... abrasive..."

"Abrasive? Really?"

"Every other word out her mouth is a cuss word! She's like a New York cab driver!"

"Nah... Steve is like a cab driver..."

"Oh, eat a dick, Smith!!"

"See...?" Bradley pointed towards the mechanic and the two men laughed. The pilot fixed his attention back to his partner, who went out the building without him and Bradley sighed. "He ran her off; great! I gotta go; maybe I can calm her down..."

"You always do!" Malik shook his head and smirked as Bradley hurried out the bay. The man caught up to her and Lindsay greeted him with a half-smile.

"Hey. Sorry; meant to wait for you."

"It's okay. Keith pissed you off, again?" Bradley asked and Lindsay shrugged as they strolled towards the housing building.

"Don't worry about it."

"Come on; I wouldn't be a real friend if I didn't! So, maybe a bit of hanging out will do ya some good? We haven't done that in a while."

"... I'll have to take a rain check on that. Maybe tomorrow." Lindsay answered without looking at him. Bradley gave her a pained glance.

"Lizzie, if you're hanging out with Areiv, again, you ain't got to lie to me..." he almost mumbled.

"... What? Oh, no. Not today. I'm just tired, Brad. Sorry."