12.3: A Realization

Lindsay forced herself not to reveal her amusement as the group went inside the palace. Everything appeared made from the same crystal as the outside, even the floor as everyone's reflection was visible. She gaped at the ceiling which gave the same reflection as the floor except for the massive chandelier that shimmered and changed various shades, like the Esperian gems she admired. Ahead was a broad staircase where the entire Earth team could walk up, side-by-side with no problems. Emuh and Reyarts started for the left hallway before reaching the steps and the Royal Magistrate gave Lindsay's attendants a smile.

"Please make certain that m'lady is not late for the feast this evening."

"You, too...?" Lindsay mumbled as Areiv chuckled.

"Yes, your majesty," Asi answered as both bowed. "If you will follow us..." Asi carried on, and they ascended the stairs. Areiv kept Lindsay's hand in his as they followed, causing Emuh and Reyarts to offer him curious looks.

"Baron..."

"I shall return in a moment." Areiv rushed as they made a right into a corridor. The four went inside an area that Lindsay assumed would be a bedroom. She was taken by surprise to observe other Esperian women bustling about; they eyed Areiv but bowed.

"This is the dressing area for the Lady of Esperia. It houses all her gowns for any occasion." Noin explained.

"So, I take it that the Baron isn't supposed to be in here?" she noticed the looks they gave him.

"I am permitted anywhere within the palace."

"While that might be true, I think you're supposed to be somewhere else right now..." Lindsay teased and beamed. Areiv sighed but returned the smile, grabbing both her hands.

"I do not wish you to be uncomfortable around the attendants. If you would rather for me to stay..."

"I think you just want to see me naked!" she teased once more, causing Noin and Asi to giggle. Lindsay laughed along with them despite the embarrassed glance she received from Areiv. "I'll be fine, I promise. Now, go and do what you need to do and I'll see you at the feast. You know someone will have to stop Emuh from going overboard..." she smirked and Areiv gave her a level face.

"You are correct. I shall see you at the feast, my love." he gave her a light smile before leaning in for a lingering kiss. The servants gave him a bow as he left and Lindsay turned to them. Asi and Noin appeared to flush and kept their heads down.

"F-Forgive us for that outburst." Asi started. Lindsay gave her a look.

"What? Oh... for God's sake; get up! It was perfectly normal to laugh at something like that," she smiled as the two Esperian women arose and gazed at her. "So... can I ask for a favor?"

"Anything m'lady demands..." Noin answered but Lindsay shook her head.

"That's just it; I don't want to 'demand' anything from you or anyone here. I've noticed that Esperians are really courteous and all that. But... could you just... not be so formal around me?" she asked. The women gave out gasps and eyed her.

"O-Oh. The Royal Magistrate and the Baron will not allow for attendants to disrespect m'lady..." Noin mumbled and Asi nodded in agreement.

"Oh, where I'm from there's plenty of ways to be respectful without being so formal! Please; I don't deserve it. I'm not... royalty." her words made the women gasp once more.

"You are in courtship with the Baron, m'lady. He will become Royal Magistrate soon and you will become Lady of Esperia; that is indeed royalty and we are to regard you as such." Noin explained. Lindsay opened her mouth but Asi grasped her arm, leading her to the middle of the room.