11.1: The Mating Ritual

Warning: Sexual Content

Lindsay enjoyed the meal Areiv prepared for her: Esperia's sweeter version of Ajom (which consisted of a bland gray instead of the dull red she was used to), a rich green linguine-like pasta called ened (while very creamy, Lindsay didn't care for the coarse taste), a light portion of ortinu with a side of dworl and a snow-white, fluffy dessert Areiv was particularly proud of, gatya. Lindsay was also impressed he provided Buno liquor that was a near twin to an Earth white wine. The two sat in his living space after their dinner.

"That... was so amazing!" Lindsay smiled, the translucent liquid touching her lips. The Esperian smiled at her.

"I am glad you enjoyed it."

"The... what was that? Gatya?"

"Yes."

"Oh, that was absolutely delicious!"

"There is more, if you like. I may have gone overboard in my preparations."

"Leftovers are good! I might have to take you up on that offer... later..." Lindsay smiled as she leaned her head on Areiv's shoulder. The woman had time to consider things over during the meal; it was the reason she grew so quiet. Everything appeared to take place so fast, if Lindsay worried on it. One moment, she sat on a cliff as her husband mystically said his goodbyes to her and the next: she was engaged to an Esperian! The idea lingered longer, and it made Lindsay look up at Areiv. "So... what's gonna happen when you return to Esperia?"

"Oh? You will not travel back with me?" the Baron stared at her. The question made Lindsay sit straight.

"Oh, I didn't think I could..."

"I do not understand why you would assume that. I have offered for you to visit Esperia many times. You may travel to any planet you choose. We have taken up our courtship, Lindsay. And, I overlooked earlier: the royal attendants will groom you to be Lady of Esperia, not Empress; you cannot be prepared if you remain here on Buno." Areiv answered with a dainty smirk. Lindsay had to admit that she hadn't thought of that part: the Baron wouldn't be baron his whole life span; he would become Royal Magistrate... which would make her Lady of Esperia. Lindsay knew Emuh's reign was approaching the end but hearing Areiv's statements made it more real. Getting engaged was a larger venture than she had imagined! Something else grabbed her attention and Lindsay narrowed her eyes at Areiv.

"That was sarcasm..."

"Indeed." Areiv chuckled. Lindsay rolled her eyes but laughed.

"Areiv... me becoming Lady of Esperia is a pretty big deal! Oh... what will the other Esperians say about that? I don't think they're gonna like you making a human your mate!"

"Oh, Lindsay. Esperians care not for what species they intend to mate with. It is true that my planet is mainly Esperians however, there exist different species. Do not despair; my people will recognize you as my mate." Areiv assured. Lindsay nodded but the uncertainty still persisted.

Areiv's lips on her own interrupted her thoughts and Lindsay melted into the kiss, throwing her arms around his neck. The Baron pulled her near, pressing his body onto hers and marveled at the strange sensation of her heart pounding; the longer they kissed, the faster it thumped. With a small moan, the alien released the kiss and gazed into the woman's eyes.

"Do you... remember the day of the festival?"

"Um... yeah...?"

"Is it still too forward for me to seek to... have sex?" he surprised her. Lindsay's heart still thumped as her body flushed; it wasn't her imagination that the kiss was more passionate than any they shared before. It was the first time Lindsay was truly close to the alien's body, his coolness felt through the robes.