christmas eve

'Last Christmas I gave you my heart, and the very next day you gave it away

this year to save me from tears I gave it to someone special.'

Those were the words I was woken up to as my mother decided it would be fun to come into my room and have a little sing along with the radio from downstairs. My eyes remained shut out of annoyance and I groaned once my curtains were ripped open and the winter sun illuminated my room, becoming visible through my eye lids. 

'It's Christmas eve hija, wake up!' Mum cheered. Her exhilarate tone wasn't ideal but it was indeed christmas eve and there was so much to do. I stretched out and let my eyes open up to catch the view of my jolly mother exit my room happily.With a soft thud my duvet fell from my body and to the ground as I got up and a soft yawn left my lips while I padded across my wooden floor to get to the bathroom. 

Finishing up my business in the bathroom, I stared at my exhausted state in the mirror and sighed. I was up until two in the morning wrapping gifts and writing cards. The clock in the hallway read ten in the morning and I began to go down the stairs. I was not moving from the house today, and that couch was looking very inviting. I slid my phone into the pocket of my dressing gown and the sound of my dads slippers could be heard from the kitchen, along with christmas songs coming from the radio. 

'Morning, sunshine.' Alfie smiled. He looked at me, all smug, from the kitchen table with Megan perched on his lap as she drew some pictures. I gave him the finger and went to the fridge. 'Wheres Becks?' I asked. Around me was Reece, dad and mom as Alfie and Megan sat at the table. Mum was cooking some breakfast while dad stirred his coffee before looking at me,  'She went to pick some stuff up, I believe.' My dad spoke. 

I nodded and began to make my own tea, moving out of the way for my mother to plate up our pancakes. I smiled gently as I saw they were shaped like gingerbread men and christmas trees and cooed. 'Mum they are so cute.'

She smiled to herself and began to bring Megan her plate. 'At least someone appreciates my effort around here.'

As soon as Becca arrived home, we all dug into our breakfast, talking about the most strangest things and decorating some pancakes in edible glitter and stars that were meant for cupcakes. Megan had a blast, if you couldn't tell already. Her hair was getting so long, and it fell around her shoulders so delicately while she spoke to her daddy, excitement laced within her voice as she reminded us all that santa was coming tonight. Reece soon joined in. 'I hope I get my bike.' He sighed. Dad pat his shoulder and leaned back in his seat, wiping the corner of his mouth. 'I'm sure you will, santa's a cool guy, he'll sort you out.'

Mum put  her cappuccino down and cleared her throat. 'Yeah, I'm sure he is. Or I think he's a lazy man who lets his wife do everything instead.' She rebuked. We laughed at the  obvious dig at my father, except for Reece and Megan, who hadn't a clue what we were talking about. 

'Maybe if Mr's Claus wasn't such a nag, Santa could maybe stand to be around her. Ever think of it that way?' He retorted. We all kept our mouths shut and I sipped on my tea, staying quiet. But before mum could say anything, a knock at the door interrupted us all. Megan was the first off of her seat and began running to the door. I stayed sat and watched mum follow her, the rest of us returning to conversation. 

'Where were you this morning?' I asked Becca. Her cheeks tinted a slight red and I smirked a little. As she cleared her throat, she tried to cover her blushing up. 'I was getting some things.' Her voice faltered and Alfie and I began laughing. 'Aw,' He said. 'Does Becks have a girlfriend?'

Her dark green eyes rolled and she rested her chin on her hand as my father looked on, interested in the conversation all of a sudden. 'Girlfriend?' He questioned.