ninth

"...and I know it's just a phase

you're not in love with me..."

A few hours later, Kala sat quietly at the kitchen table as her parents eyes burned into her skin.

"Kala," He father spoke, finally cracking the silence, "What do you have to say for yourself?"

"Nothing."

Her mother scoffed as she picked up the dirty dishes.

"I think you very much do." Mr. Tally said crossing his arms.

"What do you want me to even say?" Kala snapped with a raise of her voice.

"Who was that boy?"

"Um. Ashton. He did introduce himself didn't he?" Kala could tell her words were pissing them off as she matched her fathers stance by also crossing her arms.

"I'm not dumb Kala! That boy was covered in tattoos, had a bad attitude, no respect for me and your mother, and the both of you smelled like cigarettes!" He finally lost his cool.

"We just expected better of you than this." Her mother finally spoke again.

"Well than what did you expect! I'm eighteen now! I can go out with friends and you whatever the hell I want. I can date and fall in love with whoever I want!" Kala shouted standing from her chair at the table.

"This behavior disappoints us. But this is just a phase sweetie. That type of boy could never love you. And I hope you would never love someone like that. You know better." Mrs. Tally spoke softly but with a cutting edge of anger.

"Screw the both of you!" Kala shouted before marching up the stairs and into her room.

As she fell back on the bed, tears wanting to surface, only one person came to mind.