The Chrysanthemum Returns

Comenzar desde el principio

"Hanzo," you called suddenly, shattering his train of thought.

"Yes?" His cool answer didn't betray his anxiety.

"Do you think we should invite Genji over for breakfast?"

"Well," he began, "I think that's a wonderful idea. That's so thoughtful of you, my love. Should we have it in the first balcony then? Or do you already have someplace in mind?"

"No, the balcony sounds wonderful, Hanzo." You were quick to agree. "But I say if we want to make the most out of this day, we better be off and prepare ourselves."

"I'm going to take a quick shower then," he acquiesced and sat up, effectively rolling your person off of him. He then tightened the hold of the gray obi around his waist and stood up to further straighten himself out, pivoting on his heels to face you fully once more. "I'll be in my quarters," he added. "Also, you're welcome to join me--I always make the water hot in cold mornings like these."

Your eyes widened like saucers, and you paused in your stretching session, arms in the air, as you registered the last of his statement.

"Lord Hanzo!" you screamed shrilly, turning beet red as you began to stumble on your words, "Nani wo kangaeteru no?! First the thirteen kids bit, now this not so subtle seduction? Y-you're such a tease...!"

You hardly cared that you were a stuttering fool as you grabbed for the nearest pillow and threw it at him.

Unfortunately, your indignity only heightened once you saw how your lover caught the soft projectile easily into his big hands; no doubt his lightning-fast reflexes have honed themselves from those long years of ninja training, and it's definitely worked wonders on him.

"You know where to find me," he said with a wink. "See you soon, my love."

And he catapulted the pillow right back, hitting you square in the face. As your muffled screams of anger rang throughout the halls, the clan leader was making his escape, his only response being the sound of his quick, fleeting footfalls and the added abundance of laughter.

***

Once you had come down from your high, you fixed yourself up to look presentable before your colleagues and proceeded to tidy up the space that you and your lover had utilized. Certain that the guest room looked the way it did as when you first entered it, you closed the screens behind you and made your way over to the second floor balcony, where the little arrangement was to be made. However, going past the open kitchen has sparked an idea across your mind, and you stopped by momentarily to scout the fridge with the intention of bringing some of the white cake Hanzo really liked over to the breakfast table.

You did promise to give him more of the particular dessert once he returned from the States. Thing was, you just never really found the opportunity to give it to him.

But you did then.

So with a proud grin lighting your face and careful strides guiding your excited feet, you set forth for your destination where, as expected, Hanzo was, already sitting comfortably in his seat with a red book in hand.

All at once, your smile dropped and lost its lovely vibrance.

"You're not bringing work here too, are you, Lord Hanzo?" you asked, trying to mask the dissatisfaction on your countenance and voice--to no avail.

"Ah, this?" the man inquired, lifting the faded leather book a little bit higher for you to see much more clearly. "Of course not. This is not germane to work...I'm simply reading my old book of Japanese folktales. It's been awhile since I read them, I've had this ever since I was a kid."