Chapter 29. Absquatulate / Revenir

The Stampede

I wouldn't blame Nicholas D. Wolfwood. I mean, all this time I knew. I knew he was a gung ho. Still, I followed him around. I'm sure I'm to blame for that one. And he didn't run either, he knew his mistakes and he continued to work as a man he despises.

Rebecca Valentine is another case. I don't know what to believe, because I didn't see her. She ran, I was told. Was she afraid of facing me, or facing Knives? It boiled down to being a coward. Well, for as long as I've known her, that's what's she been. She tried hard to be selfless but I know she's human. It just hurt this time.

I don't want to say I'm angry, but... how could she? After everything, I thought I had someone who understood. Someone who didn't look at me with fear, or hatred. Listened to everything I shared, had forgiven me for what I couldn't forgive myself. It felt like I had a true friend, not like Meryl or Millie but almost as if we were soulmates. Not lovers but soulmates. It's a lie.

Three minutes. Three minutes I've been in a hand stand, the metal plate where I attach my arm pinching my nerves as it's the only thing that holds me up. Legato's real curious about my body, he's bent and broke every bone twice today, just seeing how I hold myself up. Knives on-looks, and I give a straight face to bear the pain.

"Enough," Knives says, either satisfied or fed up. He sends Legato away, standing at the edge of the ship's dock, onlooking the sea of human buildings below.

"Do you really believe people can't change?" I ask him. "Even if it takes an unbearable amount of time, people move forward."

Knives scowls, before his eyes go wide. His teeth come into view and the grin nearly terrifying. "You must not believe that, I can see the anger. Rebecca left you to die."

"Remember Rem!" I persist, ignoring his comment.

His look hardens again, and he turns away pensive. "Time?" he says. "Time is a problem. We will be ash burning from the trash when they have changed."

"If that's the way it has to be, can't you accept it?"

"It doesn't have to be that way," he says, with a sinister smile. "They take, and they take. It's all they do. Create injustice and call it justice. All I want is to bring justice to the world. Don't tell me you've forgotten Tesla?"

It boils over. I slam my hand down hard, even though my fingers are fractured and force myself up. Of course I remember. Emotional Trauma isn't easily forgotten. "I never forgot! That was the day we lost you, Knives! That's why I can't take your side, because all you do is try to stop pain and don't look for the source! The only battle you need to win is with yourself! So don't look away from me!"

His grin this time is like the devil's, satisfaction in his answer. "Yep, it's exactly as you say! The pain I feel within is horrible, thanks for enlightening me! But we need to teach them to look inside as well. Then we'll all be even! This battle of ours will take us back to peaceful times, Vash!"

The Punisher

You wouldn't like to be used again, would you?

"You're dead, Rebecca," I say out loud, sitting against my punisher in the sand. Five— six now? Six plants stolen. In reality, it's not much compared to the hordes of plants stolen by Knives, but she was stealing from him directly. He'd be pissed.

I wanted to tell Vash's she didn't run, but I haven't heard from her either. I caught her red handed once, and she disappeared. Elendira couldn't get her, I couldn't. I don't have a clue what she's doing.