Chapter 10. Past Lives

I call myself Shana Revy. Revy the Gambler. Who am I really? Well, if you dig too deep, I'm sure you'd be in your grave.

I'd like to call myself a true bounty hunter, words raw to the soul, shots ripe to the mark. I have two greedy hands for whole sacks of money. But if that were true, I would have killed Vash the Stampede. I'm following him on a mission. I haven't change my mind. If it's what I have to do to get answers, I'll do it. I need to know, because my soul is rotten but my body is still here, even after the fall. And if anyone should know anything, it could be the most notorious man with a sixty billion double dollar price, and zero to show for it.

I open up my book, staring at it's book mark. Or well, the leaflet I use. I always keep it with me, just so I don't forget where I am, even when everyone else does.

Rebecca Valentine the Power-Plant Thief. Offender charged with murder, federal treason, vandilization and theft. Notes: Stole plants of December that were in government possession. Test subjects. Wanted Dead or Alive, with plant subjects returned. Worth Eighty Billion double dollars.

So I don't forget who I am.

It's a crisp and cool morning. I make myself eggs and open the window to let the breeze come in. I'm still in my nightgown by ten, with my hair in it's braided mess. I'm still reading, starting an obsession with these romance novels since I have no time to chase love. I haven't got to lounge around like this in a while. I'm actually happy, for once. It reminds me of times before I was on the hunt every morning.

"Vash! Come out and play with us!" I hear kids call and look out the window. I pull over a sweater and look outside. I see Vash parallel to me, who waves.

"Huh, that's really strange! When I let you sleep you really do wake up pretty! I should let it happen more often," Vash says.

"Almost flattered but, that sounds really backhanded. My morning has just been ruined." I duck back into my room and shut the window.

I walk out of the hotel room later, after I've showered and dressed to find the kids throw Vash into the middle of the street, in front of a girl. She was... a little over... extravagant, I guess? Giant blue earrings, an extremely short dress, flashy boots and a purse. And very, very bright pink lipstick.

"Are you alright?" she asks, crouching down.

"Irene?" Vash looks up dramatically, "Oh... I'm sorry, you just look a lot like my dead girlfriend. Please, tell me your name."

"My name is Michelle," she replies.

"Lovely name. My name is Vash. Vash the Stampede."

"Oh... that sounds like the outlaw with sixty billion double dollars on his head!"

"Yeah... I get that a lot. So... what do you think of lunch with me?"

She smacks him. "Not a chance." Then she's gone. I really don't think they'd match up anyways.

"That makes ten losses out of ten!" The kids run over to him. "You know, Vash. We did all this for you! You could try harder!"

"But captain, this strategy doesn't seem to be working!" Vash whines, then spots a boy. "Hey, Neil, want to join in?"

The kid walking by with a crate and a hat stops for a moment, observing everyone on the scene. Then he turns his head and walks away.

"Where is cheap flattery and feigned injury going to get you?" I fold my arms, walking over and stomping on his back. "How do you have time to chase girls all day, seriously? Find a job to make some real money. You're an outlaw, for christ's sake, and there ain't no rest for the wicked."