Chapter 46: The new girl in school

After school, Lily grabbed her backpack and took the bus home. She went up the stairs in her apartment building to the 3rd floor and went inside her room. Her mother greeted her with a hug. "How was school?" she asked. "It was fine, mom," Lily replied. For a second, she was tempted to say, oh, I was abducted by some elves, but I'm fine now. I was in a war, mom!

"Your father and brother are still in Canada." Lily's mother said. Of course, Dad was still on his work trip, and Peter was still with him. "Yup." "Oh, and you just missed the visitor." Lily's stomach lurched. "Visitor?" "Mmm-hmm. Young woman wearing a simple purple dress. Is she a friend of yours?" Lily tried not to throw up. "Uh, yes," she answered. "Her name's Theresa. You know what? I'm going to take a walk. See you soon, mom." Lily walked out of her room and started down the stairs.

On the second floor stairs, a voice sounded behind her: "Dear, can you help me?" An old woman stood halfway down the stairs, holding out her hand. "Sure," Lily smiled. She extended her hand and the woman grabbed it.

The old lady's grip was like iron. Lily tried to shake her hand free without success. "Hey!" she said. "Let me go!" The woman straightened up, becoming younger, her clothes turning into a simple purple dress. "Hello, Lily," Theresa said.

"What are you doing here?" Lily demanded. The sorceress queen smiled. "I am only here for a warning," she said. "What?" Lily asked. Theresa whispered in her ear, "Watch for the others. My sister can be quite dangerous when she wants to." Lily knew instantly she was talking about Tara's and the other's families. But when did Theresa have a sister? The queen vanished into gray mist.

"Well, you came back quickly," Lily's mother said. "I was feeling tired, so, um, I'll just stay home," Lily answered.

It was hard sleeping that night because Lily was sure that Theresa would come back for her. But eventually, sleep took over, and she closed her eyes.

The next morning Lily was working on her math morning work in school when her teacher suddenly said, "Okay, class, say hello to our newest student. Since these are the last five days of school before summer vacation, she's only visiting, and then she'll join the school like everyone else." At that moment, the classroom door opened and a girl came in. Lily had never seen her more serious before.

"Why don't you introduce yourself?" Ms. Anne said. "My name is Oneida. I am from California," Oneida said. "Well, thank you," Lily's teacher said. "There's an empty seat next to Lily, you can sit there. Lily, Oneida, try to get to know each other." Oneida walked stiffly to her desk and sat down.

During lunch, Lily and Oneida sat at an empty table. Somehow, Oneida had a ham sandwich with her. As they were eating, she said, "I was not truthful." "You did fine," Lily assured. "No." Oneida turned to face Lily. "I am not from California. I am from the elfin world. I do not know how I really got here, but I know Theresa was part of it. My family is very far away from here. How could I be truthful if I didn't say all this?" "Jake's at the Empire State Building. Also, you could be more cheerful than this." "You'd be sorry if I was complaining to you 24/7." The school bell rang and they returned to their homeroom. As they walked up the stairs, Oneida whispered, "I'll be more cheerful if I live through geography class."

After school, Lily introduced Oneida to her mother, saying that she would be staying for a while. "Her parents are working in England," she explained. Lily's mom gave Oneida the guest room and said she would let her stay for the weekend.

When Lily's mom hadgone to sleep, Lily went to Oneida's temporary room. "Be careful," she said. "Theresatold me to watch out for her sister." Oneida's face went pale. "There couldonly be one reason why Sophie is on Earth. She wants revenge on Theresa." "Forwhat?" Lily asked. "Sophie locked her own sister in that prison, to keep herfrom destroying her ever-growing city. Now that Theresa has broken free, shewants to track her down and capture her again." Lily thought for a moment. "Buthow can I tell who she is?" she pressed. "Her magic is gray, like Theresa's,"Oneida said. "She is the most powerful in her family, more powerful thanTheresa. Sophie will stop at nothing to capture Theresa, but she will want youas a prize if she is in a good mood."