Chapter 37: The hidden palace

The horse snorted and instantly changed direction, turning right. Out of the corner of her eye, Lily saw Geiger bear right (pardon the pun) chasing her. The grizzly picked up speed until Stacy was right next to Lily. Foxfire shook his head in protest as Geiger sniffed him inquisitively. "Sorry," Stacy said, "I don't think Geiger likes Foxfire; she's never seen him before." "Don't mention it," Lily said.

As they rode on, a strange fog rose from the ground, obscuring almost all vision. Lily's horse didn't seem to be bothered by the grayish fog. Foxfire surged on over the ground. The yells of battle faded away.

Ten minutes later the mist seemed to deepen ever so slightly. Lily started to get tired. Stacy said, "I think we're almost there." Lily stared at the mist. "That makes sense. If this place feels more dangerous, we are definitely close. Stacy pointed up. "I think the fog is thinning. I can see the sky." A gray haze that might have been the sky shimmered above the fog. But the fog was too thick to see anything. "There's something wrong ..." Lily warned. Now she knew they were close, by the 'sky'. The gray mist gathered in front of her, forming an arrow that was unmistakably pointing down. Foxfire slowed down, looking at the hovering arrow. "Stop," Lily said to Stacy. "Lily, what's wro-" "Geiger, stop!" Lily commanded.

One second later and it would have been too late for Stacy and her bear. The gray mist parted in front of them, revealing a twenty-foot chasm that seemed to have no bottom. Geiger stumbled to a stop just in time, Stacy hanging on tight to avoid getting thrown. The gray arrow rippled, forming the word, forward. "Theresa is on the other side of the gap!" Lily said. "I don't think crossing the gap is a good idea!" Stacy replied. Lily slashed the mist word to nothing with her sword. Foxfire and Geiger went crazy, howling and snapping at the chasm. "We have to go over," Lily said. "Over what?" a voice asked.

Jake appeared behind them, perched on a donkey. "Trevor was acting a little strange and he bolted in your direction," he explained. Trevor trotted closer to the giant gap. "Theresa's on the other side," Stacy said. Jake swore. "Holy cow, you're going to cross that?" "It's the only way," Lily said. Trevor suddenly backed up and raced towards the gap. "Whoa, boy, OH NO!" Jake screamed as the donkey leaped right over the edge of the chasm. Geiger did the same, jumping over the edge with Stacy screaming in terror. Foxfire neighed uncertainly. "It's okay," Lily assured, though she was sure nothing was okay. "Jump," she said. After hesitating for a second, Foxfire galloped toward the chasm edge at full speed and jumped.

For five seconds of horror, Lily was sure they weren't going to make it. Then she was jolted forward as Foxfire landed on the other side. Geiger roared. Lily saw a palace, towering over them. "A hundred bucks that's Theresa's prison," she said. "I'm not taking that bet," Jake said.

All three animals suddenly stiffened and fell on their sides, sending Stacy and the others tumbling off. "What's wrong with them?" Stacy cried. Jake shot to his feet, sword in hand. "Theresa's here!" he yelled. "Run for the palace and-"

A gray tendril of mist wrapped around Jake's waist, pulling him screaming into the sky. Lily slashed uselessly through the other mist strings as they wrapped around her and Stacy, dragging them high above the palace. The mist carried them through a roof compartment, dropping them in what must've been the throne room.

Lily recognized theroom immediately because it was the roomTheresa had shown her in the vision. Strangely, the place seemed deserted.Stacy rubbed her eyes and yawned. "Guys, I'm feeling so tired." Jake alsoyawned. He fell to the floor. "This is Theresa's prison, all right," he mumbledinto the ground. Lily stumbled. "Maybe we should get some rest," she admitted.Stacy and Jake immediately collapsed. Lily was thinking of doing guard duty,but her mind rebelled against the thought. She sank to the floor.