Chapter 40: A family reunion

Theresa dropped them in the throne room.

Jake got to his feet. "Where are the others?" he asked. "Here," Tara said. Theresa drifted - literally since she had turned into mist - over to her newly-repaired throne. She took her time solidifying before settling into her chair. "I will call out the prisoners by family," she said. The queen cleared her throat. "Marissa Aiwa!" A door in the back of the room opened and Tara's mom stood in the doorway. Tara rushed forward and gave her mother a hug.

"Sandra Dana!" Theresa called. A much smaller figure came to the doorway. Stacy cried out in relief and ran over to pick up her baby sister. "Oneida and Parker Iander!" the queen said. Jake's older brother and younger sister ran towards him.

"When can we destroy this place? It's so boring here," Parker said after they had all finished hugging each other. "Soon," Jake promised. "Jake, you've got a scratch on your hand!" Oneida said. She grabbed Jake's hand and inspected it carefully. He squirmed out of her grasp. "I'm fine," he assured. Oneida crossed her arms. "Have you looked at yourself lately?" she demanded. "You're covered in dirt, your hair's messy, you've got no weapon ... Mother will be furious at you." "Yes, Mother will be furious at me, and I don't care," Jake answered. He went over to Stacy, who was cuddling Sandra. She smiled. "Here, you can hold her." She handed the toddler over to Jake.

Jake looked at Sandra as she laughed and wriggled in his arms. She made a funny face and formed a tiny fist. Jake stared cross-eyed at the fist as it punched him in the nose.

"Ow!" Jake gave Sandra back to Stacy and jogged over to his family. "Dude, what's with the new fashion statement?" Parker grinned. Jake looked at him, confused, until Oneida exclaimed, "Jake, you've got a bruise on your face!"

"Ugh." Jake rubbed his nose. "I've only been punched in the nose by a toddler." Parker cracked up. Oneida said, "How could you be so clumsy, Jake?" "Everyone in this family's clumsy," Jake protested. "But you're the most stupid," his sister teased. Jake messed up her cute hair for her troubles.

Over all the commotion Theresa called, "Are you done? I haven't started yet, and I would not like to wait any longer." Jake let go of Oneida. "Wait any longer for what?" The queen smiled. "For you to open the doors, of course. You're my best chance of escaping my prison. If you refuse ... well, I'll just have to destroy you and find someone else." "Thank you, but no," Lily said. "I wanna go home!" Sandra shrieked. Theresa rose out of her throne and everyone stepped backward. A gray tiger appeared in front of her. "Surrender to me!" the queen shrieked. "No!" Jake and Stacy said in unison. Theresa snarled and the tiger lunged.

Tara pushed her mother to one side as the mist tiger leaped right over them, missing by an inch. As it passed by, Tara quickly drew her sword and slashed upward, but the blade went right through. The tiger growled and grew sharp claws, and Jake was sure they weren't mist. The claws gouged deep cuts in the ground as the tiger bared its fangs, deciding who to attack first. Parker whispered, "I'll distract it. Go!" Jake dragged Oneida to one side as his older brother charged the tiger, yelling, "HEY! Over here, teddy!"

The tiger howled and turned as Parker drew his sword and plunged it into the animal. The blade crackled and frost spread up the metal. Parker was forced to drop it. Lily leaped at the queen and sliced the throne in half. "Are you kidding me?" Theresa yelled. "It took me five whole minutes to repair that!" "Run!" Stacy shouted as she picked up Sandra. Jake stepped forward and tried to punch the tiger in the face, but his fist passed straight through. Nearby, the queen flicked her hand and the tiger seemed to become more solid. She smiled. "My creation is now permanent. You can try to stop it, but it is intent to bring misery and pain to all of you." Jake began to think. What was the opposite of misery and pain? Oh, right. Happiness and wellness.

Suddenly Jake had a really stupid idea. "Yo, Happy!" he yelled. The tiger turned and growled, Ruh? "Yeah," he continued, "you're looking so cute and downright cheerful!" Ruh! The tiger roared and charged him, ignoring the fact that Parker's frost-covered sword was still impaled in its back. Jake dodged it and said, "How you doing, Fluffy? Nice dagger in your back." The tiger roared and Parker's blade shattered into pieces. "Yeah, thanks!" Parker yelled at Jake. Stacy shoved Sandra into Lily's arms, snatched Tara's sword out of her hand, ran forward, and stabbed the tiger right in its glowing gray butt.

Theresa said, "Oh,that's not nice!" A tendril of gray mist grabbed Sandra from Lily. A glowingcage appeared around the toddler, Tara's mother, and Jake's brother and sister.The tiger snarled, confused, like What just happened? Gray lightningsuddenly coursed through its body and it exploded into mist. "Just because I'm a good mood," the queen said, "I'll giveyou ten minutes to escape and live." She raised her arms and the walls began toerupt around them.