Chapter 15: Journey in the chute

As Lily plummeted down into the darkness, she wondered why ogres hated elves in the first place. Then she thought, Of course! The elves have used ogres for combat training for years! Why did they do that in the first place?

CREEEAAAK! Lily hit a thick line. Her hand brushed against a cable ... .a cable!

Lily looked more closely at her arms and legs through the dim light. Sure enough, she was snagged on several of the thick wires. She was just about to start climbing when a screeching sound interrupted her. A cable next to her sizzled and smoked as electricity pass through it.

Lily's mind screamed in frustration. How was she supposed to climb her way up now? Were there other handholds? Lily kicked forward with her legs into empty space. Nope. She swung away from the damaged cable to a sturdy one and waited until the wire had completely broken off before she continued on.

***

As it turned out, Tara and Stacy could not find help, and they wasted valuable time trying.

Apparently, all the other elves had joined the elf/dwarf war. As the two approached the battle scene, Tara frowned. "Hmm," she said. "We seem to be at an impasse with the war." Stacy looked around and saw it was true. The dwarves had recovered and they didn't seem to be losing, but they didn't seem to be winning either. It was the same with the elves. "Well then," she said. "I suppose we'll have to join the fight." They ran into the crowd, fists flying.

While Tara kicked dwarf butt, Stacy spotted a group of thirteen dwarves climbing over what was left of the northern tower wall. Without a moment's hesitation, she followed them.

After five minutes of walking and opening doors, the dwarves came to a stop. They entered a conference room with a table and several chairs. The dwarves took a seat.

"Welcome to the elf building!" one dwarf said. He jumped out of his seat. Making points over his ears with his hands, he did a mock bow. The dwarf's friends laughed delightfully. He sat down again. "Now," he said, "We need to find the elves' ultimate weapon. Think for a moment. What will the elves throw at us? Candy ants?" The other dwarves doubled over with laughter. I'll give you an ultimate weapon, Stacy thought. Quickly, she took five itch grenades from Lily's bomb bag. Pressing the detonation buttons, she hurled them in the room and closed the door before sprinting down the hallway.

KABOOM! The explosion rattled the walls. Stacy was literally lifted off her feet by the shockwave, sending her sprawling at the end of the hallway. Even from fifty feet away, she could hear the dwarves' wails as the skin rash powder came down on them. Another victory for the elves, Stacy thought.